Command Button design question

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO

    Command Button design question

    Hi,
    I trying to create a command button, that changes part of it's text based on the value of a single cell named range ("InvInvoice"). I have tried entering a formula into the Caption property, but couldn't make it work.
    I then tried grouping a command button and a text box together and it works, but because the text on the command button centers itself, I have to oversize the command button to make room for the textbox. It looks klunky.
    The static text is "Save and File Invoice #" and the changing text is the invoice number located in the named range.
    Any ideas?
    Casey

  2. #2

    Re: Command Button design question

    You could use an event that looks for a change to that range and adjusts the
    caption of that commandbutton's (from the Control toolbox toolbar).

    Or ....

    You could use a button from the forms toolbar and a helper cell.

    I put:
    ="Save and File Invoice #" & text(InvVoice,"00000")
    in a cell (say A1)

    Then I added a button from the forms toolbar (and assigned the macro to that
    button)

    But with the button selected, I put
    =a1
    in the formula bar.

    Buttons from the forms toolbar have a lot fewer features compared to the
    commandbuttons from the control toolbox toolbar.

    If your InvVoice cell changes because of a typing change, you could use
    something like:

    Option Explicit
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("InvVoice")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    Me.CommandButton1.Caption _
    = "Save and File Invoice #" & Format(Target.Value, "00000")

    End Sub

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    Dave,
    Two options, thanks, and your preception is correct the Invoice # changes by manual entry so I'm using the Worksheet change event and the commandbutton from the control toolbar.
    I know you post so often, helping people like me, no way you could remember everbody you help, but I remember and I know we are into the double digits with the number of answers I've received from you.
    If you ever go skiing in Aspen (I live in Carbondale very close by), e-mail me, I owe you a steak dinner at least.

  4. #4

    Re: Command Button design question

    Thanks for the offer. I like the steak -- never skied though.