Saving file

  1. #1
    Paul
    Guest

    Saving file

    I distribute a file to users on the network, they enter information and then
    save it back to the network. The problem is that the network is slow, so
    sometimes users will save it to their C drive to work on it, and then forget
    to switch back to the network when they are done. I added code to save back
    to the network when they complete their processing; however, it states that
    the file cannot be accessed when they are working directly off the network. I
    need code that saves as to the network when working off the c drive and just
    saves when working off the network.

    This is what I currently have:

    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    dim netwrkpath5 as string
    dim branch as string
    branch = Sheets("RegionalOutputFile").Range("aa2").Value

    netwrkpath5 = "\\ahfctor01\ahfcsharedfiles\Branch and Corporate\BR" + branch
    netwrkpath5 = netwrkpath5 + "\Region" + branch + "BARModel.xls"
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=netwrkpath5
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True

    Thanks for any help you can give!

    --
    Paul

  2. #2

    re: saving file

    this should work enter it into the thisworkbook module
    this will do as you asked, although it will not overcome your problem if more than one person is entering info into each workbook, and it isnt shared

    person (A) opens the workbook and saves it to their own hard drive
    person (B) opens the workbook and save it to their own hard drive
    person (A) saves his workbook back on to the network
    person (B) saves his workbook back on to the network (overwriting person (A)'s info)

    (not sure if that is the case, if it is)

    How many people are using the workbook?
    How often is it used?
    How large is the workbook?
    Do the users need to see each others information?

  3. #3
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: Saving file

    I think that will work, if the path is C is will use Save and if it is
    something else I will use SaveAs. Only one user has access to each workbook.

    Thanks!

    Paul

    --
    Paul