Merge to Columns with Unknown length

  1. #1

    Merge to Columns with Unknown length

    Hi - I have a spreadsheet with 2 columns

    House Name
    House Number

    I want to merge these to columns and I have used the following

    =B2&" "&C2&" "

    This works fine except I want to run a macro that automatically merges these 2 columns from a helper column I created - the only problem being I do not know how many House names or numbers need merging per spreadsheet so my macro automatical self calculates 500 rows but the database these spreadsheets can uploaded in to keeps reading the blank spaces left behind in the empty rows and failing

    Anyone know how to let the macro know when to stop at the last row of data please

    Any help appreciated

  2. #2
    Nigel
    Guest

    Re: Merge to Columns with Unknown length

    Puts the merged cells B and C into cell A for only rows up to the last
    column B entry.....

    with activesheet
    xlastrow = .cells(rows.count,2).end(xlup).row
    for x = 1 to xlastrow
    .cells(x,1) = .cells(x,2) & " " & .cells(x,3) & " "
    next x
    end with

    --
    Cheers
    Nigel

    "Steve M" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thats Brilliant

    Cheers
    Steve

  4. #4
    SITCFanTN
    Guest

    Re: Merge to Columns with Unknown length

    HI Nigel,

    I have the same situation but I need to put the data that is in column
    J and move it to column F in the same row. How would I alter this code to
    accomplish this. The cells in Column F are empty on these rows where there
    is data in column J. Thanks

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Merge to Columns with Unknown length

    In Column J, assuming the values are constants and not formulas and the
    other cells are empty:

    set rng = Columns(10).SpecialCells(xlConstants)
    for each cell in rng
    cells(cell.row,"F").Value = cell.Value
    Next
    rng.ClearContents

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    JOUIOUI
    Guest

    Re: Merge to Columns with Unknown length

    Wow, this works great Tom and I understand the code which is good since I'm
    just a beginner at this. Let me take this one step further.

    Same scenario with a report that varies in length each day. When I'm
    downloading this report, some data is incorrectly placed into Column I, that
    should be in Column J on the same row. The cells in those rows in column J
    are empty. Some of the information in column I is correct however so I only
    want to move the data in each cell in column I that have greater than 7
    characters. Is that even doable based on that criteria of greater than 7
    characters?