+ Reply to Thread

What are the alternatives ???

Question What are the alternatives ???

Hi Guys,

For the majority of my Uni assignments the due date is given as a week number (eg assignment given week 5 - assignment due week 12)

I am trying to devise a way of displaying the current week number of the semester. I will then use this result for a number of other procedures (cond formatting etc...)

The date in cell $F$3 is the first day of the semester.

I have put together a formula which works fine until I reach 7 nested IF arguments. Can anyone help me shorten the formula or suggest an alternative way to do what I would like to do:

Please see below for formula

Thanks in advance

Chris

=IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+91)),"Week 13",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+84)),"Week 12",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+77)),"Week 11",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+77)),"Week 11",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+70)),"Week 10",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+63)),"Week 9",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+56)),"Week 8",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+56)),"Week 8",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+49)),"Week 7",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+42)),"Week 6",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+35)),"Week 5",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+28)),"Week 4",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+21)),"Week 3",IF((TODAY()>=($F$3+14)),"Week 2","not at uni"))

Is this what you want?

This will tell you how many weeks have passed from the Semester starting date ($F$3) until 'today'...

=TRUNC((((Now()-$F$3)-DATE(YEAR((Now()-$F$3)),1,1))/7))+1+IF(WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR((Now()-$F$3)),1,1))>WEEKDAY((Now()-$F$3)),1,0)

Quote Originally Posted by kghexce
    This will tell you how many weeks have passed from the Semester starting date ($F$3) until 'today'...

=TRUNC((((Now()-$F$3)-DATE(YEAR((Now()-$F$3)),1,1))/7))+1+IF(WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR((Now()-$F$3)),1,1))>WEEKDAY((Now()-$F$3)),1,0)

Thank you mate but it does not seem to work quite right.

I copied that formula into my sheet and it returned 12. Week 4 starts tommorow (20/03/06) so by rights I would have expected it to return 3.

The semester started on 27th Feb 06 and that is the date in cell $F$3.

Thanks again

Works for me = 3

When I enter the date Feb 27 into cell F3 it returns "3".

To double check...
    1) Recaptured the formula from your reply to my email.
    2) Pasted into a cell in the spreadsheet in another location
    [To paste, switched first to formula view (CTRL `), pasted, switched back (CTRL `)]
    3) Week "3" is returned.

Think it is OK. Not sure why it isn't working for you.

thanks Guys problem solved

The simple things in life are often best and that was the case with this formula:

=WEEKNUM(today(),2)-WEEKNUM($F$3,2)+1

Thank you to Hans who posted to my original post which had a different title

Cheers

Chris

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information