missing personal.xls file ... please help!

  1. #1
    Rhode Island

    missing personal.xls file ... please help!

    Hello,

    My office computer has been recently upgraded and I am having trouple locating all the macros I had stored in "personal.xls". I believe I was running 2003 and I still am, but I could have been running an earlier version (maybe 2000?).

    Right now I have my old drive hooked up as an external so all the files should be still sitting there. I was instructed to look in the following folder (now moved to my desktop from old drive):

    ...\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

    But that folder is totally empty.

    I am finding nothing when I search for "personal.xls". Is that the name is should be stored under? FYI- I log into my machine this type of thing could be associated with my login name.

    Thank so much ... (nervously waiting)

  2. #2

    Re: missing personal.xls file ... please help!

    Depending on your upgrade path, you may have the personal.xls file in a
    different folder.

    I'd search again.

    Maybe even using an old DOS command.

    Windows|start button|run
    cmd (windows 2k/xp)
    command (windows 98)

    At the DOS prompt:
    X: (to get to the x: drive, change X to your external drive letter)
    cd\ (to get to the root directory)

    dir personal*.xl* /s

    the /s means to search through subdirectories.

    Maybe it'll pop up.

  3. #3
    Rhode Island

    Hello Dave ... thanks for the reply.

    I was able to recall some DOS ... but not enough.

    The C drive comes up when I run cmd and I found nothing (Volume in drive C has no label ... file not found). How would I change to a different drive to search there as well?

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Rhode Island

    i'm an idiot ... maybe I should try reading your entire email first ...

  5. #5
    Rhode Island
    ...but still nothing found ... nothing on C nor the old drive E. I don't get it ... I didn't delete anything yet ... where could it be???

    Pfbt!

  6. #6

    Re: missing personal.xls file ... please help!

    Maybe it's time to check all your drives--including mapped drives???