Multiple Criteria for Conditional Formatting

  1. #1
    Dave Y
    Guest

    Multiple Criteria for Conditional Formatting

    Hello,

    I have an existing spreadsheet that is used for different types of loan
    accounts. Each of the different loan types are assigned a number designating
    the type of loan it is. For examlpe; a residential loan may be a "type 3" and
    a commercial loan a "type 5". The types can also be broken down further such
    as a type 3 (residential loan) could have a payment type of a fixed or
    adjustable interest loan. This spreadsheet uses Conditional Formatting for 2
    different critieria; if a loan that is a type 3 (no matter what kind of
    payment type) and has current loan balance of $500,000 to $999,999.99 then
    the font in that row the font should be blue, if it is >=1,000,000 then the
    font is green. At the end of the spreadsheet there is a column that contains
    a formula that also looks at the balance criteria and will enter the text of
    "ILR" or "N-ILR" which determines who is responsible to review the loan.
    Currently I have the following formula's in the Conditional Formatting dialog
    boxes:
    Condition 1: =AND($G2>=500000,$G2<=999999.99,$N2=3) - blue font
    Condition 2: =AND($G2>=1000000,$N2=3) - green font
    I was just asked to add a third criteria that if any type 3 loan that has a
    payment type (payment types are contained in column E) of INTF that has a
    balance >=500,000 then the font in that row should be green. If I try to
    simply add a 3rd criteria as Condition 3 within the CF dialog box with the
    formula of:
    =AND($G2>=500000,$N2=3,$E2="INTF")
    nothing happens because the 3rd condition is ignored as soon as the first
    condition is met. I'm assuming that I need to create one formula within the
    condition 1 field to accomplish what I need to do; but how can I do that?
    What would the formula be. I hope I explained this issue without too much
    confusion. If further clarification is needed please post it and I will
    reply. Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    Dave Y

  2. #2
    Am I missing something or why could this not be your first condition?

  3. #3
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Criteria for Conditional Formatting

    Dave
    This combines your second and third criteria:

    =OR(AND($G2>=500000,$N2=3,$E2="INTF"),AND($G2>=1000000,$N2=3))
    and format for green font.

    And this allows thae first criterion to have an exception:

    =AND($G2>=500000,$G2<=999999.99,$N2=3,NOT($E2="INTF"))

    HTH

    Beege

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    I'd have thought that for first condition you just need

    =AND($N2=3,OR(AND($G2>=500000,$E2="INTF"),$G2>=1000000,))

    and format for green font.

    Then simply for the second

    =AND($G2>=500000,$N2=3)

    format blue

  5. #5
    Dave Y
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Criteria for Conditional Formatting

    Hi Beege,

    Thanks you for your reply. The formula you provided seems to have worked
    perfectly. I also want to thank intruder9 and daddylonglegs for their replies
    as well. I greatly appreciate the help.

    Dave Y