Extracting from Pivottables

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Extracting from Pivottables

    Is it possible/practical to extract data from pivottables (apart from pivotcharts) and if so how?

    Pivottables are excellent in analysing, summarising and drilling down on data, but the subsequent presentation and use of that data appears very restricted and manual based on my current knowledge.

    Are there any relevant tricks or tips & if so where?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Extracting from Pivottables

    Here is one method

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    "John James" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Extracting from Pivottables

    Too trigger happy

    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks, Peo.

    I hadn't considered using the drill-down facility for this type of purpose. If the drill-down is more summarised than the original data upon which the Pivottable was based, then this has interesting potential for summarising data through a quick, simple, low-error process.

    Do you know whether the table produced is a summarised version of the original data or if it retains all of the original detail? I'm hoping it is summarised.

    In any case, I suspect there might be some potential here because my recollection is that the drill-down works on any figure in any pivottable.

    Cheers,

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Extracting from Pivottables

    You can use the GetPivotData function to extract data from a pivot
    table. There's information in Excel's Help, and here:

    John James wrote:
    > Is it possible/practical to extract data from pivottables (apart from
    > pivotcharts) and if so how?
    >
    > Pivottables are excellent in analysing, summarising and drilling down
    > on data, but the subsequent presentation and use of that data appears
    > very restricted and manual based on my current knowledge.
    >
    > Are there any relevant tricks or tips & if so where?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html