Can you put a formula in the middle of text?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Can you put a formula in the middle of text?

    In cell F2 of a sheet named "main flash" I want to have it display the following:

    "for week 42 ending"

    The week 42 part would come from another sheet named "actuals" that's in the same workbook.

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Can you put a formula in the middle of text?

    Hi

    You could do something like this:
    ="for week "&E2&" ending"

    Andy.

    "Weasel" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Can you put a formula in the middle of text?

    ="for week " & actuals!x99 & " ending"

    You could even do:

    ="Please pay me by: " & text(a1,"mm/dd/yyyy")

    to get the formatting the way you want.

  4. #4
    would the same formula/method apply for making a chart haeading label responsive?

    My chart is driven by the vaue of A1 which is defined by a combo box. I would like the chart heading to look something like

    = "estimated VAT For" & A1

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: Can you put a formula in the middle of text?

    Hi

    I don't think so. Have a look here for a pretty exhaustive site on charts:
    http://www.contextures.com/JPChartIndex.htm

    Andy.

    "cereldine" <[email protected]> wrote

  6. #6
    David
    Guest

    Re: Can you put a formula in the middle of text?

    cereldine wrote

    > would the same formula/method apply for making a chart haeading label
    > responsive?
    >
    > My chart is driven by the vaue of A1 which is defined by a combo box. I
    > would like the chart heading to look something like
    >
    > = "estimated VAT For" & A1

    The way I accomplished this was to tuck the source for the chart title away
    in a cell (say B30) in a hidden row (30) and then refer the chart title box
    to that:
    B30 ="estimated VAT For" & A1
    Chart Title reference: =Sheet1!B30 <--Sheetname needed for some reason.
    Once you place your formula in the cell you will eventually hide (for
    cosmetic reasons), you can click the Chart Title box, type =, and click the
    cell with the formula and the sheet name will automatically be added.
    Hope I haven't confused you too much.

    --
    David

  7. #7
    Thanks David, works a treat for anyone else looking to have more informative charts