Comparing rows

  1. #1

    Comparing rows

    Hi all,

    I need to compare two worksheets. It should be checked in such a way that all the data in the first ROWin sheet 1 should be the same when compared with the data in the range of sheet 2. It should not happen that one cell in row 1 exists and the other does not. Also, the data is not sorted and even if sorted, it would lead to no help. Can anyone please help me on this please. I tried to use hlookup which compares only the data in one cell.
    In brief, the data in a row of sheet 1 should match with any COMPLETE ROW in a range of sheet 2. Please help. I feel this can be done with formulas but I just landed up in scratching my head. If done with VB, then too, am much more than happy.
    Your help is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Praveen

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Comparing rows

    =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(Sheet1!1:1,Sheet2!3:3))

    will count the matches from row 1 of sheet1 to row 3 of sheet2.

    =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(Sheet1!1:1,Sheet2!3:3))=CountA(Sheet1!1:1)

    would indicate if all the cells matched.

    =And(SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(Sheet1!1:1,Sheet2!3:3))=CountA(Sheet1!1:1),CountA(Sheet1!1:1)=CountA(Sheet2!3:3))

    would indicate that all cells matched and the row in sheet2 didn't have
    additional cells with values.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Thanks Tom,

    However, this gives the result only if it exists in the same row and also I was looking for VB as I see that this is very time consuming and it has taken almost 10 min and is still calculating. Is there any other way out......

    Regards,
    Praveen

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Comparing rows

    Obviously, there are many ways to solve specific problems.

    Tom Ogilvy