Closed Thread

How to protect some cells, but able to insert rows elsewhere?

How to protect some cells, but able to insert rows elsewhere?

I need to protect cells A1:C6, but be able to modify B1, and need to insert and delete rows below row 6.

I selected the entire worksheet, unlocked the cells, then locked cells A1:C6, and unlocked B1. Thi worked fine for cell contents - when I protect the sheet, the cells are protected as I wanted, but I cannot insert or delete rows anywhere.

Is there a way to accomplish the cell content protection as I did above, but be able to also insert and delete rows?

Thanks!

Alex

MS-Off Ver
    in later versions of Excel this is possible. When you choose Tool> Protect select the actions you want users to be able to perform before you set the password.

Ed

Ed,
    "...in later versions of Excel ..."
    How recent version? The one I am using here is Excel 2000, and the options for protecting the sheet are for Contents, Objects, and Scenarios. These do not affect the ability to delete or insert rows; that is, regardless of which I check, I cannot insert or delete rows once the sheet is protected.

Thanks

Alex

MS-Off Ver
    I'm using 2003, so I guess it came in somewhere after 2000 - sorry I can't help - it may be possible using vba.

Ed

Excel 2000 does not have that function . If I am not mistaken it started from Excel 2002.

Rgds.

OK, I appreciate that.

Now to the challenge of figuring out an alternate way of doing it - hmmm....

If anyone can figure out how to accomplish this 'long hand', please let us know.

Then again, maybe I can convince the IT department to upgrade me to 2003.

QUESTION:
    If I were to update to ver 2003 and take advantage of that feature, would it still work (some cells protected for contents but able to insert and delete rows elsewhere in the worksheet) for other users to whom I would send the file but who still have ver 2000?

Thanks all the same!

Alex
    Last edited by Ingeniero1; 03-29-2006 at 08:41 AM.

MS-Off Ver
    I guess they could only do as you can now - the features in a spreadsheet created by a later version are not avaialable to users of an earlier version that does not have them.

ed

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Re: How to protect some cells, but able to insert rows elsewhere?

I have the same problem but even after giving the user authentication I am not able to insert rows or column after protecting partuclar cells. I have Excel 2007, can you please help me

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Re: How to protect some cells, but able to insert rows elsewhere?

Amandeepsharma89,

Welcome to the Forum, unfortunately:

Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread. It makes sense to have a new thread for your question because a thread with numerous replies can be off putting & difficult to pick out relevant replies.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

Closed Thread

Thread Information