how can I sort with header not on row 1

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Devon UK
    MS-Off Ver

    how can I sort with header not on row 1

    Hi,
    I would like to sort 'by header' when the headers are on row 5. I know that I can highlight all the rows from 5 to bottom of the sheet manually then sort by header row but with a large sheet this is time consuming. I would like to select the entire sheet and then sort by header(on row 5)
    Is this possible?

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: how can I sort with header not on row 1

    Get to know your shortcut keys:-

    Select A5 and hold down CTRL+SHIFT and hit the END key, or hold down
    CTRL+SHIFT and hit the RIGHT arrow and then the down ARROW

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    "tryer" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: how can I sort with header not on row 1

    You shouldn't have to select the range before sorting, unless you have blank
    rows within the range you want to sort. If you simply select a cell within
    the range of data, then choose Data>Sort, Excel does a pretty good job of
    determining what the bounds of that range are.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: how can I sort with header not on row 1

    Ken - Ctrl-* (asterisk) is a great key combo, too

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: how can I sort with header not on row 1

    Very True :-)

    news:[email protected]...