Links - Please help

  1. #1

    Angry Links - Please help

    I am experiencing a very frustrating problem. I have a number of seperate workbooks which contain statisics. I have attempted to consolidated these stats on a master stat workbook via a series of links. However my problem is that when I go into the master spreadheet and I say yes to update links, the data doesn't refresh. However if I then open one of the source spreadsheets where the stats are being sourced from the data refreshes. Please can somebody explain this as this problem is driving me crazy.

    Thanks
    Simon

  2. #2
    C'mon somebody must have some ideas on this??

    Thanks in advance.
    Simon

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor EdMac's Avatar
    Exeter, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    1,264
    Hi Simon,

    I think you'll find it can only update when the linked books are open

    Ed

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by EdMac
    Hi Simon,

    I think you'll find it can only update when the linked books are open

    Ed

    Surely not, I am sure that I have had other instances where the spredhseet with links in it has updated where the source workbook is not open. Is anyone able to confirm one way or another whether this is true?

    Thanks
    Simon

  5. #5
    Please help me someone. I'm desperate!!

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Links - Please help

    Past the mind reading stage, you did not refute that the other workbooks
    were not open. Excel like the people who wrote it and use it, is not a
    mind reader and would have to have access to the file and open it in
    order to update. For some things Excel may actually open a file even
    if you don't see it and having been a programmer the concept of accessing
    anything from an unopen file is outside of common reasoning. Excel will
    never open a file for use INDIRECT as for anything else about using unopen files
    it's something I don't know about and would not trust....

    To begin with your question was not clear, and really still is not. But the
    fact that the links (which ever terminolgy you are using) are dependent on the
    other workbooks being accessible means that they have to be open.

    1) obtain the value from another cell
    2) hyperlink to anothr location, and there is a difference between
    object links and HYPERLINK Worksheet Function, and with the
    function if they addresses are inside of quotes they would never
    be updated.
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Hi David,
    Thanks for your repsonse. I suppose I will just have to open the 30 or so source spreadhseets.

    Thanks
    Simon

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Links - Please help

    Another problem with terminology. I presume you mean workbooks because
    that was what was mentioned
    before. The term spreadsheet is a bit ambiguous as to whether one
    is referring to a workbook or a worksheet. I don't know how far back you
    would have to go where you could have only one worksheet in a file.

    Of course on paper a spreadsheet was one piece of paper because it
    is not plural..
    ---