can I set row/column label as variants?

  1. #1

    can I set row/column label as variants?

    size1 size2 size3
    shoe1 22 24 26
    shoe2 32 34 36
    shoe3 42 44 46

    Like above shoe pricing sheet, I want to set row and column labels as variants and get the price directly the variants. As you may know, we can get the price of size3 shoe2 price by =(size3 shoe3) in any cell. But if you let x=size3, y=shoe3, =(x y) doesn't work. Give me some clues.

  2. #2
    Andrew Taylor
    Guest

    Re: can I set row/column label as variants?

    Try:
    =INDIRECT(x) INDIRECT(y)

    (My first try was =INDIRECT(x&" "&y) , but this gives #VALUE! )

  3. #3

    Re:

    I have try =indirect(B1) indirect(A2) in cell, for example, A7, but it doesn't return to the value intersected by B1 and A2. Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Andrew Taylor
    Guest

    Re: can I set row/column label as variants?

    OK, in that case I don't know what you mean by
    "let x=size3, y=shoe3". My answer assumes that
    x and y are named ranges, each of 1 cell, containing
    size3 and shoe3 (or whatever).

    The formula
    =indirect(B1) indirect(A2)
    would mean the intersection of the range whose name
    or address is in B1, and the range whose name or
    address is in A1. So if B1 contains size3 and A2 contains
    shoe3, you should get whatever's in the intersection of
    those ranges.

    If this doesnt help, maybe you could email me a copy
    of your workbook so I can understand it better.

    Andrew