Help needed with pivot tables

  1. #1
    London

    Unhappy Help needed with pivot tables

    Hi all !

    Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question (or if it is a stupid question - more likely!) as this is my first post.

    I would like to do a pivot table on some data I have - the only problem is that the data is not completely filled in, ie:

    Contact 1 Product 1
    Product 2
    Product 3
    Contact 2 Product 1

    instead of :

    Contact 1 Product 1
    Contact 1 Product 2
    Contact 1 Product 3
    Contact 2 Product 1

    Is there any way to get Excel to deal with this elegantly ?

    Thank you !

    Daniel

  2. #2

    Re: Help needed with pivot tables

    If you want to keep it a pivottable, then you're going to have to live with it.

    But if you convert it to values (it won't be a pivottable anymore), you can fill
    those empty cells using the techniques at Debra Dalgleish's site:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

    You may want to copy that worksheet, then convert the copy to values (if you'll
    still need the pivottable).

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Kansas, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    If I understand you, your issue is that you should have 2 columns of data, but in some cases the first column is blank & the second one has shifted into the first?

    There's probably a better way to do this, but I would do the following:
    Assume your data is in columns A & B, starting in row 2 (titles in row 1)

    1) In C2, place =IF(ISBLANK(B2),C1,A2) and copy it down.
    2) In D2, place =IF(ISBLANK(B2),A2,B2) and copy it down.

    You now have 2 new coolumns you can use for a pivot table.

    If the data is not such that the 2nd column is blank, you might have to adjust the formulae (For instance if it contains a space, you could use =IF(B2=" ",C1, A2)

    HTH

    ---GJC

  4. #4

    Re: Help needed with pivot tables

    I read your original post incorrectly. You don't already have the pivottable.

    But the techniques at Debra's site will still work for you.

  5. #5
    London

    Thank you

    Thank you Dave -- Debra's site was exactly what I needed ! (and yes, I didnt have a pivot table just yet -- thats what I wanted to generate)
    Amazing - I spent over 3 hours yesterday trying to figure out a solution and you gave it to me :-)

    Gjcase, thank you also -- the 2nd column info hasnt shifted to the first column (but you can still use your technique)

    You guys are the best !

    Daniel