Cell Population based on a Table

  1. #1
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus

    Cell Population based on a Table

    How can I populate a cell based on "various values" of another cell?

    Column A contains the 2-Character Abbreviations for all the States (United States that is). I would like to populate Column B with the “Area” that the state is in based on my predetermined mapping.

    In example: MA, NJ, NY are in the East Area, VA, MD, NC, SC are in the MidAtlantic Area, IL, ND, SD, IW are in the MidWest Area, TX, FL, LA are in the South Area, etc

    Can a formula do this or does it need a Macro. I would think that I would need to build a reference table for the “States to Area” mapping/relationship.

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Cell Population based on a Table

    You do need a reference table with col States & col Area

    Then you can search that table using VLOOKUP

    AP

    message de news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Cell Population based on a Table

    I would create a new worksheet (call it sheet2).

    Put the 2 character abbreviation in column A and its associated region in column
    B.

    Then I'd use a formula in an adjacent cell:

    =if(a2="","",vlookup(a2,sheet2!a:b,2,false))