Using "&" with a date

  1. #1

    Using "&" with a date

    I feel like I should be able to figure this out as it seems like it would be simple, but I'm stumped.

    - I input a date (April 6, 2006) in cell A1. Cell A1 is formatted for Dates.
    - I then type this into cell D1:

    ="Sales total for "&A1

    I want my result to read "Sales total for April 6, 2006"
    but instead I get "Sales total for 38813"

    It's putting the date in its numeric value. I've tried formatting D1 as Date, as Text, but nothing seems to work.

    Help?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    ="Sales total for " & text(a1,"mmm dd/yyyy")

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by LACA
    I feel like I should be able to figure this out as it seems like it would be simple, but I'm stumped.

    - I input a date (April 6, 2006) in cell A1. Cell A1 is formatted for Dates.
    - I then type this into cell D1:

    ="Sales total for "&A1

    I want my result to read "Sales total for April 6, 2006"
    but instead I get "Sales total for 38813"

    It's putting the date in its numeric value. I've tried formatting D1 as Date, as Text, but nothing seems to work.

    Help?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 04-06-2006 at 10:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Using "&" with a date

    Try

    ="Sales total for "&TEXT(A1,"mmmm d, yyyy")

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)