size limitations on auto filter

  1. #1
    jeo1
    Guest

    size limitations on auto filter

    Does anyone know the size limitations for using the auto filter function? I
    need to know how many rows it will filter.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    The limitation is 1,000 different items (ie, 1,000 items in the drop down list).

    Quote Originally Posted by jeo1

  3. #3

    Re: size limitations on auto filter

    It'll filter the whole sheet (all 65536 rows (-1 for the header)). But only the
    first 1000 unique entries will appear in the dropdown.

    You can still use custom to specify any of the others, though.

    Debra Dalgleish has some workarounds at:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits