Formulating between worksksheets

  1. #1

    Formulating between worksksheets

    I'm trying to formulate a cell on the second worksheet that includes a calculation from a cell from the previous worksheet. how do I write the formula so it knows that a cell is on the previous worksheet?

  2. #2

    Re: Formulating between worksksheets

    Let excel work for you.

    Start your formula (I'm gonna use =sum() as the function that will be used on
    the other sheet's cells):

    =A1+B9+Sum(

    Now use the mouse to select that range on the other sheet:
    I got
    =A1+B9+SUM(Sheet1!B7:B17

    Then hit enter (to be prompted to let excel finish the formula)

    or type the close parenthesis to continue typing the rest of your formula:

    =A1+B9+SUM(Sheet1!B7:B17)+sum(q3:q99)

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Formulating between worksksheets

    You could use this User Defined Function.

    Function PrevSheet(rg As Range)
    'Enter =PrevSheet(B2) on sheet2 and you'll get B2 from sheet1.
    n = Application.Caller.Parent.Index
    If n = 1 Then
    PrevSheet = CVErr(xlErrRef)
    ElseIf TypeName(Sheets(n - 1)) = "Chart" Then
    PrevSheet = CVErr(xlErrNA)
    Else
    PrevSheet = Sheets(n - 1).Range(rg.Address).Value
    End If
    End Function

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP