time clock formulas

  1. #1
    Andrew
    Guest

    time clock formulas

    I have created a formula for calculating total hours / day
    the times are entered in military time
    a1 = 7:30, b1 = 15:30, c1= =(b1-a1)*24, and it works great, however I can
    not get those numbers in the C colum to add up for a rolling total

    HELP !!!!!

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: time clock formulas

    Try formatting the sum as;

    [h]:mm
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Andrew
    Guest

    RE: time clock formulas

    I'm not sure what you mean, sorry...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    As they are just decimal numbers now, they should simply add up. What is the
    problem you get, give an example?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Maybe Andrew meant something like this in C2 so the values accumulate

    =(B2-A2)*24+C1

    and copy down

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

  6. #6
    Andrew
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    I need each row to have its own total, and then have a total at the bottem of
    each column.

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Just use =SUM(C1:C?)

    where C? is the last cell with data that you want to include

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

  8. #8
    Andrew
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    I know that, but t does not work
    a b c
    1 7:30 17:30 10.00
    2 7:30 17:30 10.00
    3 7:30 10:30 3.00
    4 7:15 17:30 10.25
    5 7:15 17:30 10.25

    #VALUE!

    Formula for c3 is =(b1-a1)*24

    hope ths helps

  9. #9
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Are you saying that if you use

    =SUM(C1:C5)

    you'll get a value error?

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

  10. #10
    de vlam johan
    Guest

    RE: time clock formulas

    it is easy Andrew.pse find below copy of excel sheet example;copy it directly
    into a sheet.
    start time ending time working time
    hours minutes
    12:23 14:42 2,00 19 2:19
    14:41 14:42 0,00 1 0:01
    12:12 14:42 2,00 30 2:30
    11:23 14:42 3,00 19 3:19

    totals: 7,00 69,00 8 uur en 9 minuten solution a)
    8:09 solution b)
    8:09 solution c)

    formula's were written in dutch as you can see below (relevant cellcontents
    preceeded by an apostrophy)

    12:23:00 14:42:00 =UUR(B14-A14) =MINUUT(B14-A14) =TIJD(UUR(B14-A14);MINUUT(B14-A14);SECONDE(I14-J14))
    14:41:00 14:42:00 =UUR(B15-A15) =MINUUT(B15-A15) =TIJD(UUR(B15-A15);MINUUT(B15-A15);SECONDE(I15-J15))
    12:12 14:42 2,00 30 2:30
    11:23 14:42 3,00 19 3:19

    totaal: =SOM(D14:D17) =SOM(E14:E17) =TEKST.SAMENVOEGEN((D19+INTEGER(E19/60))&" uur en ";REST(E19;60)&" minuten")
    =TIJD(D19;E19;F19)
    =SOM(G14:G17)
    Believe required English formula version as follows:

    hour minute concatenate integer rest(or remainder??)
    sum sum time
    second

  11. #11
    Andrew
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    That's correct

  12. #12
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    The only way you can get a value error is if you calculate something seen as
    text and if C1:C5 are all numbers then you can not get an error, if any
    value in A1:A5 or B1:B5 are text then you can get a value error in C1:C5 and
    if you get one there then the sum will return the error as well, what
    happens if you use

    =SUMIF(C1:C5,"<>#VALUE!")

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

  13. #13
    Forum Guru
    Los Angeles, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    Posts
    12,637

    Thumbs up timeclock calcs

    Assuming that the first seven rows of column A hold the day names, i.e., Mon, Tues, etc. then:
    1. The first seven cells in columns B, C & D should be formatted for 24 hour time (13:30)
    2. The first seven cells in column D would contain the formula:
      =IF(C1>B1,SUM(C1-B1),SUM(C1+24-B1)) "time worked in hrs and mins"
    3. The cells of column E would be formatted as number, say 1 decimal place, and contain the formula:
      =SUM(HOUR(D1),(MINUTE(D1)/60)) "time worked in hours and tenths
    4. Cell E8 would simply sum E1:E7 for the weekly total in hours and tenths.

  14. #14
    Ron
    Guest

    RE: time clock formulas

    I've have the same thing. I have built a spreedsheet to kept track of my
    hours worked. I go in at 21:45 each nite and get off at 06:00. I can not get
    the spreedsheet to total the hours. Every outher week I have to work over, I
    go in
    at 21:45, but I don't get off until 14:00 the next day, for a total of
    16:15. I NEED
    HELP WITH THIS ONE PLEASE.
    --
    ironmn

  15. #15
    Daniel CHEN
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    =(B1-A1)*24+24*IF(B1>A1,0,1)

    --
    Best regards,
    ---
    news:[email protected]...

  16. #16
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Hi Ron

    With clock on in A1 and clock off in B1 try
    =MOD(B1-A1,1)

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  17. #17
    Ron
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Roger, I would like to email you my time sheet so you can see if you can
    help. I need your email address or a place where I can send this. Ron
    (IRONMN)
    --
    ironmn

  18. #18
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Hi Ron

    Send the file to roger dot govier at technology4u dot co dot uk

    Do the obvious things with dot and at

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  19. #19
    Ron
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Roger, Hi, i was just checking to see if you got it. Ron
    --
    ironmn

  20. #20
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Hi Ron

    File received and on its way back.
    Your problem was not in the calculation of time from start to finish.
    Excel stores times as fractions of a day, so before you multiply the
    hours worked by the dollar rate, you need to multiply by 24 (hours per
    day) to convert to decimal hours.
    In order for the correct result to display, the cell with this
    calculation needs to be formatted as General or Number (not Time).

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  21. #21
    Marisel
    Guest

    Re: time clock formulas

    Hi Chen,
    Thank you very much! I have been looking for that formula I while ago. I
    tried and it helped. Thanks!