=SUMPRODUCT

  1. #1
    ArthurN
    Guest

    =SUMPRODUCT

    Hi,
    I saw this formula:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A65536<>""),--(B2:B65536=""))
    And I have no idea what "--" means, I tried searching the manual and the
    internet but found nothing.
    ArthurN

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: =SUMPRODUCT

    Have a look at the following link...

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Carim's Avatar
    4,070
    To put it simply, Sumproduct() is a function which ignores alphabetic cells,
    the operator -- ( called Unary Minus ) transforms alpahabetic cells into numbers : 0 and 1, thus allowing combination with all other numeric cells ...

    Hope this clarifies
    Carim

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Carim
    To put it simply, Sumproduct() is a function which ignores alphabetic cells,
    the operator -- ( called Unary Minus ) transforms alpahabetic cells into numbers : 0 and 1, thus allowing combination with all other numeric cells ...

    Hope this clarifies
    Carim
    I had never encountered this problem before. I discovered Sumproduct here: http://www.excel-vba.com/e-formula-sumproduct.htm

    He uses an asterisk in place of the comma, like this: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:B10=C1)*(B1:B10)). This works just fine. I understand the use of the double negative above, but I don't see why using the asterisk would alleviate that problem. Can someone explain what's going on there?
    Still using Excel 2000

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: =SUMPRODUCT

    Here's a more extensive explanation by Bob Philips:

    HTH,

    RD

    "Teodomiro" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragdyer
    Here's a more extensive explanation by Bob Philips:

    Perfect. Thank you!