How to save results of a formula in an other cell

  1. #1
    Delia
    Guest

    How to save results of a formula in an other cell

    I have a formula in one cell, that gives me different results for different
    entries. I would like to store this results in an other place (other range of
    cells) so that in the end to have, for example, the last 10 results of this
    formula. Is this possible? I am a beginner. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    each time you use the formula to produce an answer, you must paste that answer as a value into a list....... If your list is next to the numbers 1,2,3etc
    ............A.........B
    1..........1......15.43
    2..........2.......7.89
    3..........3.......12.1

    Then you could pick out the last 10 results using offset and match

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: How to save results of a formula in an other cell

    You would probably need to use a macro or be very clever in using intentional
    circular references.

    You can't have 10 instances of the formula and let the user specify 10
    separate inputs?

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Delia
    Guest

    Re: How to save results of a formula in an other cell

    Thank you Tom Ogilvy and Robert111.
    Tom I feel clever but I can't use intentional circular references... not
    yet... :-)
    This formula is it self a kind of result from a range of cells (6x7)
    Robert111: I've thought of that, but as I said, I am a beginner... How to
    paste the answers as values automatically?

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    you can not paste the answer from a formula automatically....

    but

    you can write a simple macro that picks up that value, goes to the yop of your list, goes to the bottom of the list, goes down one cell, and then pastes, special, values.

    You need to set the macro recorder to relative references

    Say the top cell of your list is named "start"

    the macro would go to start, ie F5, start
    go to the bottom of the list ie Control key and down arrow together
    go down one more cell ie down arrow
    finally edit paste special values

    You could draw a box and position near your original formula and attach the macro to it, so one click and your latest value is archived.

  6. #6
    Delia
    Guest

    Re: How to save results of a formula in an other cell

    Thank you , I will try.
    I wish you all a nice day.
    Delia

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How to save results of a formula in an other cell

    Even a macro isn't going to function automatically. You would have to
    trigger it by tying it to the appropriate event. Chip Pearson has an
    introduction to events at

    If you want to pick up the next available cell in a range

    set rng = Range("M1:M10")
    idx = application.countA(rng)
    if idx <> 10 then
    rng(idx+1).Value = range("B9")
    else
    ' range if full - what do you want to do
    end if

    Tom Ogilvy