Conditional Formatting

  1. #1
    Peter
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting

    Hello, I am trying to use conditional formatting to change a font from normal
    to bold if a cell contains a value other then 0.
    The value resides in the "D" column, and the fonts to be changed are in the
    "A" and "E" columns. This continues all the way from rows 1-57.

    EG:

    Item1 | Item2 | Item3 | 1 | 1.2345

    Because the 4th cell ("D") now contains a "1", i need the whole lot to
    change from normal to bold font on that row, in the range A-E Confused, me
    too.

    Thanks in advance
    Peter

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Carim's Avatar
    4,070
    Hi,

    In A2 and in E2, have conditional formatting
    Formula Is =Match(yourvalue,$D2,0)
    and format Bold

    HTH
    Cheers
    Carim

  3. #3
    Peter
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting

    Hi Carim, Thanks for the reply, but I just can't seem to get this to work for
    some reason.
    The number that can be in the D2 cell could be any number, not just a 1 or a
    2, so I think "=match" may not work in this case. Though I did try it with
    varying numbers and it wouldn't work for me either, so maybe there is an
    option in my Excel that is not turned on?
    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks in advance
    Peter

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor EdMac's Avatar
    Exeter, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    1,264
    Hi peter,

    Example: in the cell A7 select conditional formatting > formula is "=D7<>0" (dont include the " marks)
    then select format > font style >bold
    Repeat for other cells or copy as required
    this will change the font to bold

    Ed

  5. #5
    Peter
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting

    Thankyou, I found out how to get them both to work.
    It seems as though because I was using banding to color each alternating row
    it would not work on the colored rows, but would be fine on the plain rows.
    The formula used for the banding seemed to be overriding the second condition.
    =mod(row(),2)=0
    After I removed the banding it works, though I now of course have to
    manually add this formula and adapt it to each of about 300 cells, and work
    out another way to re-add the banding.

    Thanks
    Peter =)