Transpose with linked data

  1. #1
    Bill
    Guest

    Transpose with linked data

    I have worksheet #2 containing a table where all cells, including row and
    column headings, contain links to values in worksheet #1 in the workbook. I
    want to "transpose" the table in #2 (including row and column headings) into
    a table in worksheet #3, so that the rows in #2 become columns on #3 and the
    columns in #2 become rows in #3, while maintaining the links to values in #1.
    How do I do this.
    I need a command functionally equivalent to
    copy/paste special values/transpose/link
    but in paste special values I can choose either transpose or link, but not
    both.
    Bill

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    2 Steps:

    1. On worksheet #3 highlight the transpose range, type:
    =transpose(range2) and press cntrl&shift +Enter.

    range2= the range of the table on worksheet #2 to be transposed.

    2. Put your feet up on the table and smile

  3. #3

    Re: Transpose with linked data

    One way:

    Select the range to copy
    Edit|Replace
    what: = (equal sign)
    with: $$$$$
    replace all

    Now your formulas are all text.

    With that range still selected
    edit|copy
    then select the new location
    edit|paste special|transpose

    Now select each range
    edit|replace
    what: $$$$$
    with: =
    replace all

    And you've converted the text back to formulas.

    (Don't forget to do both the original range and the pasted range.)

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Very nice Dave

  5. #5
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: Transpose with linked data

    John James - thanks for the solution - knew it should be easy but could not
    figure it out on my own.
    --
    Bill

  6. #6
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: Transpose with linked data

    Dave

    Thanks for your suggestion -- this actually solved an additinal delima for
    me at the same time.
    --
    Bill

  7. #7