Linking worksheets in Excel

  1. #1
    PhilB
    Guest

    Linking worksheets in Excel

    I update my costs using linked worksheet. Chairs have 3 or more parts that
    lead to the final cost. When I open the worksheet for the finished chair,
    costs are not automatically updated from the linked worksheets for the Back,
    Seat and Frame. I need to open these sheets manually, in order for the
    updates to flow to the finished Chair sheet. Is there some way to have all
    linked sheets open when the finished "Chair" sheet opens, so that all the
    cost updates flow to that worksheet? Thanks.
    --
    PhilB

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Edit-Links-Update Values
    + Update automatic on this screen

  3. #3
    PhilB
    Guest

    Re: Linking worksheets in Excel

    I have tried Edit-Links-Update Values, and the updated values do not appear
    on the worksheet. The only thing that happens is the Status changes from
    Unknown to OK. The values DO change when the source worksheet is opened--is
    there any way to set preferences to OPEN source worksheets when a destination
    worksheet is opened? Thanks again.
    --
    PhilB

  4. #4
    PhilB
    Guest

    Re: Linking worksheets in Excel

    One more thing I could mention--the source worksheets have linked cells to
    other source worksheets. So the flow of updated costs could be required to
    go through 2 or 3 worksheets to get to the end worksheet.
    --
    PhilB

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Aha. You've answered your own question. The link is working correctly so that the target workbook is correctly updating with the source workbook value, but that source workbook has not been updated with its own source workbook values (or even further down the line) because they have not been opened.

    Each generation needs to be updated before the next generation can be updated.

    A macro like this should open multiple files, updating links:

    Sub OpenGrpFiles()
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\...\Book1.xls", UpdateLinks:=3
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\...\Book2..xls", UpdateLinks:=3
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\...\Book3..xls", UpdateLinks:=3
    End Sub

    You can copy this into a module, adjust it and then attach the macro, say, to a button.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB