Totaling the number of comma delimited numbers in a column

  1. #1
    Glynn Furr
    Guest

    Totaling the number of comma delimited numbers in a column

    I have a column which has a variable number of comma delimited values in the
    range of 11 to 56 in each cell. Is there a method or macro to count the
    occurrences of each number in the column and either output the results to a
    file or another worksheet?

    Example:
    23,40,52,31,
    42,14,
    56,
    27,43,19,
    etc.

    What I am doing now is coping the column to Word, closing the margins to 3
    characters, coping that result to an clean worksheet, sorting the new column
    ascending and printing the results and counting the occurrences manually.
    This is getting tedious as the column grows in length.

    Can anyone help me or point me to a solution?

    Thanks in advance!

    Glynn ..

    OT: isn't there a program to sort a comma delimited ASCII numeric file?
    Seems like I remember one from the DOS days.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    You could use Data > Text to columns with comma as a delimiter to split each number into a separate cell then use countif formulas to count each value,

    e.g.

    =COUNTIF(range,11) etc.

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Totaling the number of comma delimited numbers in a column

    Two steps:

    1. Use the Text to Columns feature to separate the data into separate cells
    pull-down Data > Text to Columns... and use the comma as the separator.

    2. After each value is in its own cell, select the entire block and use
    COUNTIF() to count the occurance of each unique item.
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Totaling the number of comma delimited numbers in a column

    Hi!

    Assume the numbers are in the range A1:A10.

    In C1 enter 11.

    In D1 enter this formula:

    =SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A$1:A$10)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A$1:A$10,C1,"")))/2

    Select both C1 and D1 and drag copy down to row 46.

    Biff

    news:1%[email protected]...