Deleting cells and shifting "right"

  1. #1
    CDWhite
    Guest

    Deleting cells and shifting "right"

    Deleting cells prompts for shifting cells left, but not right. How can I
    shift cells right?

    I am working data records (rows) with seven fields (columns); for example:

    1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005 BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK

    How can I shift the data to the right?

    BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK 1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005

    I orignally tried selecting BLANK cells and deleting but I can only shift
    left. Is there
    another way?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Edwin Tam
    Guest

    RE: Deleting cells and shifting "right"

    There is no such an option for shifting cells right. I think most users start
    using a spreadsheet from left to right (I'm not about the Indian users. But
    even Chinese users do.) Therefore, normally, cells near the far right hand
    side of the spreadsheet is likely to be empty. So, there should normally be
    no problem creating new cells at the far right when shifting cells to the
    left.

    If shift to the right, new empty cells will be creating on the left of the
    worksheet, ie. column A, B, C, etc., which is likely to create problem in
    most spreadsheets.

    Therefore, normally, if you can allow the cells to shift right, you'd better
    move the cells to the right instead.

    The case is very similar to that extremely few users would start using a
    spreadsheet from row 65536 and then upward. There will need to be an option
    in Excel to allow the default startup selection of a worksheet in cell IV6536
    then.

    Regards,
    Edwin Tam
    [email protected]
    http://www.vonixx.com

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Deleting cells and shifting "right"

    "CDWhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:HqE%[email protected]...
    > Deleting cells prompts for shifting cells left, but not right. How can I
    > shift cells right?
    >
    > I am working data records (rows) with seven fields (columns); for example:
    >
    > 1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005 BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK
    >
    > How can I shift the data to the right?
    >
    > BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK 1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005
    >
    > I orignally tried selecting BLANK cells and deleting but I can only shift
    > left. Is there
    > another way?

    Insert, rather than Delete
    Select the range of cells where you want the blanks inserting, then right
    click, choose "Insert", then choose "shift cells right".

    An alternative is to select the range of blanks you've got on the right,
    Cut, then select where you want to insert, right click & Insert Cut Cells
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    CDWhite
    Guest

    Re: Deleting cells and shifting "right"

    Thanks David and Edwin for the effort, but neither of the responses really
    work for me. I believe I will have to create a short and sweet macro to go
    one by one down the data records (all the rows) and sort by row (not column)
    for each row. Thanks again. Chris

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CDWhite

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    To shift your cells 3 places to the right, ie, to shift A1, B1 and C1 to C1, D1 and E1, select A1:C1 (3 cells for 3 spaces etc) and Insert, Shift Cells Right

    Added comment,

    This also works for multiple rows, use the CTRL key when selecting further rows or ranges.

    For individual rows or contiguous ranges of rows you could also use Cut and Paste, select the data required, CTRL/X (Cut), select the first cell in the new range and CTRL/V (Paste)

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by CDWhite
    Deleting cells prompts for shifting cells left, but not right. How can I
    shift cells right?

    I am working data records (rows) with seven fields (columns); for example:

    1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005 BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK

    How can I shift the data to the right?

    BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK 1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005

    I orignally tried selecting BLANK cells and deleting but I can only shift
    left. Is there
    another way?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 04-14-2006 at 09:57 PM.