Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

  1. #1

    Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Hi all,

    I have a Score column that runs into many entries.

    Is there a way to highlight the top 5 scores on the list in different
    colours.

    Conditional format permits me to highlight the three largest only (yes
    another gripe on this much needed excel feature!)

    Any help is appreciated in advance!!

    Regards
    Manosh

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Does this help?

    Sub highlightlargest()
    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row
    rng = Range("e2:e" & lr)
    With Columns(5)
    ..Interior.ColorIndex = 0
    ..Find(Application.Large(rng, 1)).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
    ..Find(Application.Large(rng, 2)).Interior.ColorIndex = 5
    'etc
    End With

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Say your data goes from A1 thru A100

    Set the conditional format for A1 to be:

    Formula Is
    =(A1>LARGE(A$1:A$100,6))
    with a hi-lighted format
    and copy the format down the column

    The top 5 items will be hi-lighted
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Don Guillett

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Thanks for your reply Don

    Apologies for the duplicate posting.

    i understand how the code may be extended for n etc numbers to be
    highlighted different colours.

    However, where do i enter this code? is it in the view code area of the
    worksheet?

    regards
    manosh

  6. #6
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Manosh, the code that Don provided need to go in a module not in the sheet
    code

    To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and
    pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will open
    the VBA editor, in Project Explorer click on your workbook name, if you
    don't see it press CTRL + r to open the Project Explorer, then go to insert,
    module, and paste the code in the window that opens on the right hand side,
    press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your workbook and press
    alt and F8, this will bring up a box to pick the Macro from, click on the
    Macro name to run it. If you are using excel 2000 or newer you may have to
    change the macro security settings to get the macro to run. To change the
    security settings go to tools, macro, security, security level and set it to
    medium

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

  7. #7

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Thanks Paul

    This works great when you run the macro.

    However, the beauty of the conditional format was that it was 'live'

    How can this code be run automatically to reflect anychanges to the
    sheet automatically?

    Regards

  8. #8
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Hi Manosh,

    This will make it 'live'. I used it in the worksheet module and it works
    fine.

    Dim lr As Integer
    Dim rng As Range

    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row
    Set rng = Range("e2:e" & lr)
    With Columns(5)
    ..Interior.ColorIndex = 0
    ..Find(Application.Large(rng, 1)).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
    ..Find(Application.Large(rng, 2)).Interior.ColorIndex = 5
    'etc
    End With

    Howard

  9. #9
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    This has an error checker.

    Dim lr As Integer
    Dim rng As Range

    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row
    Set rng = Range("e2:e" & lr)
    On Error GoTo nope

    With Columns(5)
    ..Interior.ColorIndex = 0
    ..Find(Application.Large(rng, 1)).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
    ..Find(Application.Large(rng, 2)).Interior.ColorIndex = 5
    'etc
    End With

    nope:
    End Sub

  10. #10

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Once again thanks Howard for the prompt reply on this forum.

    On using this i have found that when there are two equal values (or
    same rank) the formula only highlights the first occurance. Can this be
    corrected?

    To easier computing!

  11. #11

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Hi Howard

    Thanks again for your help

    This error checker still highlights only the first occurance. It should
    highlight ALL occurances of the same rank. Is this possible in excel?

  12. #12
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Hmmm, I'll give it some thought. Hopefully, Don G. is still monitoring this
    thread, I'm sure he can whip one out in a sec.

    Regards,
    Howard

  13. #13

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Thanks Howard.

    Conditional format takes care of this quite easily on the fly.

    Another reason for MS to support upto 10 conditional formats(!

    Look fwd to your workaround.

    regards

  14. #14
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Here's an attempt to catch ties. The colors are inconsistent when there are
    multiple ties. So, if it is important that the rank and color are always
    the same, then this won't work for you. It does seem to always color the 5
    highest.

    Dim i As Integer
    Dim lr As Integer
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim Cell As Range

    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row
    Set rng = Range("e2:e" & lr)
    rng.Interior.ColorIndex = 0

    For Each Cell In rng

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 1) Then

    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 5 ' dark blue
    End If

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 2) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 ' green
    End If

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 3) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 ' yellow
    End If

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 4) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 7 'viloet
    End If

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 5) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 8 'light blue
    End If

    Next

    Howard

  15. #15

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    This is turning out to be an interesting exercise :-)

    Now there is a Run Time Error '13 Type Mismatch when there are no
    numbers and i start to enter them one by one.

    For example, if the code is already in the sheet, and the numbers start
    to be put in the cell the error box pops up when Enter is pressed on
    the first cell with a new number (all the other cells in the range are
    currently blank).

    Ideally this error should not appear... and yet the code should be
    'live'. This would be most useful for novice user like us!

    I am running out of thank yous!

    regards
    manosh

  16. #16
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    I see.

    Sorry, that's my best shot at it. I'm sure the answer is not all that
    complicated, but it's off my screen.

    If you get a solution would you please send me a copy.

    [email protected]
    Regards,
    Howard

  17. #17
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    A slight mod to the code supplied by L. Howard Kittle to remove errors, and to allow for the last (few) figures being deleted.

    Dim i As Integer
    Dim lr As Integer
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim Cell As Range

    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row
    Set rng = Range("e2:e" & lr + 200)
    rng.Interior.ColorIndex = 0 ' clear beyond last

    Set rng = Range("e2:e" & lr)

    For Each Cell In rng
    On Error Resume Next

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 1) Then

    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 5 ' dark blue
    Else

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 2) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 ' green
    Else

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 3) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 ' yellow
    Else

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 4) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 7 'viloet
    Else

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 5) Then
    Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 8 'light blue
    Else

    NextCell:
    On Error GoTo 0

    Next

    End Sub

    Hope this helps

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]

  18. #18
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    I have just read your post on Blank cells, and if you intend to have blank cells and less than 5 (high) figures then you would need to add code to accomodate this, the lines to be added are:

    For Each Cell In rng
    On Error Resume Next

    If Cell.Value = "" Then

    Else

    If Cell.Value = Application.Large(rng, 1) Then

    add the bold lines where shown, and add another 'End If' to the collection.

    If needed the full code is attached at:

    http://www.excelforum.com/attachment...8&d=1145179806

    ==

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hessey
[...]

    Attached Files Attached Files

  19. #19
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    If you want the first 5 UNIQUE largest numbers then try this:

    Sub b()
    Dim Cell As Range

    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row
    Set rng = Range("e2:e" & lr + 200)
    rng.Interior.ColorIndex = 0 ' clear beyond last

    Set rng = Range("e2:e" & lr)
    i = 1
    For j = 1 To 5
    With rng
    Set c = .Find(Application.Large(rng, i), LookIn:=xlValues)
    If Not c Is Nothing Then
    firstAddress = c.Address
    n = Application.CountIf(rng, Application.Large(rng, i))
    Do
    c.Interior.ColorIndex = j + 3
    Set c = .FindNext(c)
    Loop While Not c Is Nothing And c.Address <> firstAddress
    End If
    End With
    i = i + n
    Next j
    End Sub

  20. #20
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    I create a helper column and use that in the findnext
    It works but could probably be better.
    Assumes data in col E and helper col in col L (could be hidden)

    Sub HiglightLargestFiveUnique() 'with helper column
    Cells(1, "l").Value = Application.Max(Range("e2:e500"))
    For i = 2 To 5
    Cells(i, "l").FormulaArray = _
    "=max(if(e2:e500<l" & i - 1 & ",e2:e500))"
    Next i

    Columns(5).Interior.ColorIndex = 0
    On Error Resume Next
    ci = 33
    For Each cel In Range("l1:l5")
    With Range("e2:e" & Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row)
    Set c = .Find(cel, _
    LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
    If Not c Is Nothing Then
    firstAddress = c.Address
    Do
    c.Interior.ColorIndex = ci
    Set c = .FindNext(c)
    Loop While Not c Is Nothing And c.Address <> firstAddress
    End If
    End With
    ci = ci + 1
    Next cel

  21. #21

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    All!

    My sincere thanks to you who contributed to this exercise!

    I am using the code and it seems robust and works well for my purpose!

    Cheers!
    Manosh

  22. #22
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Which code?

  23. #23
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Manosh,

    It is good to see that the code works for you, and thank you for your response

  24. #24
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Did you fully test this?

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  25. #25
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting the 5 Largest Numbers in a list

    Change my code to. See below for an easy way to make automatic
    Sub HiglightLargestFiveUnique() 'with helper columnn
    Cells(1, "l").Value = Application.Max(Range("e2:e72"))
    For i = 2 To 5
    Cells(i, "l").FormulaArray = _
    "=max(if(e2:e72<l" & i - 1 & ",e2:e72))"
    Next i

    Columns(5).Interior.ColorIndex = 0
    On Error Resume Next
    ci = 37
    For Each cel In Range("l1:l5")
    With Range("e2:e" & Cells(Rows.Count, "e").End(xlUp).Row) 'rng
    Set c = .Find(cel, _
    LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
    If Not c Is Nothing Then
    firstAddress = c.Address
    Do
    c.Interior.ColorIndex = ci
    Set c = .FindNext(c)
    Loop While Not c Is Nothing And c.Address <> firstAddress
    End If
    End With
    ci = ci + 1
    Next cel
    End Sub

    To autorun the macro on a change in col E (5)
    If Target.Column = 5 Then HiglightLargestFiveUnique

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]
    news:[email protected]...