Excel formula.

  1. #1
    JohnHamilton
    Guest

    Excel formula.

    How do I keep a running total of columns and rows? For example I don't want
    to be stuck only with =SUM(A1:A4) which will only add the 4, but keep it
    open to infinity if needed. I have a small business and I am trying to make
    an accounting ledger of debits and credits.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHamilton
    How do I keep a running total of columns and rows? For example I don't want
    to be stuck only with =SUM(A1:A4) which will only add the 4, but keep it
    open to infinity if needed. I have a small business and I am trying to make
    an accounting ledger of debits and credits.
    Try this ...

    =sum($A$1:A1)

    and copy all the way down until infinity...

    Regards.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula.

    "BenjieLop" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

    > JohnHamilton Wrote:
    >> How do I keep a running total of columns and rows? For example I don't
    >> want
    >> to be stuck only with =SUM(A1:A4) which will only add the 4, but keep
    >> it
    >> open to infinity if needed. I have a small business and I am trying to
    >> make
    >> an accounting ledger of debits and credits.

    > Try this ...
    >
    > =SUM($A$1:A1)
    >
    > and copy all the way down until infinity...

    Or if you don't want a total at each stage, but merely an overall total, use
    =SUM(A:A)
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4