Vlookup Error, please help

  1. #1
    PaulW
    Guest

    Vlookup Error, please help

    I've done loads of V and H lookups, and never had much of a problem that I
    couldn't get round.

    Tried to do one today on a sheet set up by someone else, and got an error.

    Got as far as =VLOOKUP(B2,Expense!A2:C50,3,
    When I start to type in FALSE, as soon as I hit the F I get

    "There is more than one cell with this label: F"
    And it asks me which label to use... I have no idea what this is about, I
    have no idea what to set it to, and if I just try cancel, Excel errors and
    closes itself asking if I want to send an error report.

    Can anyone help me please?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Are you typing in "false" in cell B2? Does the lookup table have only one "false" in its first column, and is first column in ascending or descending order?

  3. #3
    PaulW
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup Error, please help

    B2 contains a number, the FALSE is the 4th argument in the Vlookup. One of
    these numbers is repeated in the first column of the table, and the lookup
    table isn't sorted.
    In the past this hasn't made a difference, if something is repeated it just
    returns the first response, and its never made a difference if they're in
    order or not.
    I deleted the multiple and ordered the lookup table, but I still get the
    same error.

  4. #4

    Re: Vlookup Error, please help

    There's an option under Tools|Options|Calculation tab:

    Accept labels in formulas

    From xl2003's help:

    Lets you use label names in formulas if ranges on your worksheet have row or
    column labels.

    You may want to uncheck this option (it sounds like you have at least a couple
    of headers that contain F.

    A (temporary???) alternative may be to use 0 instead of false.

    =VLOOKUP(B2,Expense!A2:C50,3,0)

    (But I'd turn off that setting and never worry about it again.)