Can not format cells

  1. #1
    Dominic
    Guest

    Can not format cells

    Hi all,

    I am using a spreadsheet created by someone else. I am using Excel2K on Win2k.

    I want to format a certain column as date.

    When I click "Format:Cells", nothing happens. I can use the currency,
    percent, decimal incr/dec or any other format toolbar button, and the format
    of the cell will change. Neither the sheet nor workbook are protected, and
    there is no code in the VBE.

    If I insert a new sheet in the workbook, I get the same behaviour. If I open
    a new workbook, everything is OK and I can format the cells.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    Is it possible that the previous user applied a style to the workbook?

  3. #3
    Dominic
    Guest

    Re: Can not format cells

    Thanks for the hint Bruce. I did find that the cells had a style attached to
    them, but even after I returned the cell to "Normal" style I was unable to
    get the "Format:Cells" command to work.

    I didn't find anything on a style defined at the workbook level.

    Thanks again.