Protected spreadsheet, but need to add rows

  1. #1
    davegb
    Guest

    Protected spreadsheet, but need to add rows

    I know that if I protect a spreadsheet, new rows can't be added. I'm
    building a new spreadsheet for some of our less-knowledgeable users. I
    only want them to be able to enter data, but this means they have to be
    able to add rows for new/additional data. My plan is to create a macro
    that prompts them to select the line above which they want to insert
    new rows, tell it how many rows they want to add (1-10), then unprotect
    the worksheet, add the new rows, adjust the sums to include the new
    rows, if neccessary, then reprotect the spreadsheet.

    I'm interested in feedback on:

    Is this the best way to do this, or is there a better way to allow them
    access but protect the cells with text and formulas?

    If this is the best way, is there anything I'm missing? Any tricks
    you've learned from the school of hard knocks?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    If you have Excel 2003, you can leave a row unlocked wherever you want and tell them to highlight the row below that one and click insert. That way they can enter their data and rest of the worksheet is safe. When you protect just select "Select locked cells", "Select unlocked cells", "Insert Rows". I don't think excel has this function in earlier versions.

  3. #3
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Protected spreadsheet, but need to add rows

    Hi renegan

    Excel 2002 is the first version with this option

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Kletcho
    Guest

    Re: Protected spreadsheet, but need to add rows

    You could look at using Excel's built in form (data -- forms).

  5. #5
    davegb

    Ron de Bruin wrote:
    > Hi renegan
    >
    > Excel 2002 is the first version with this option
    >
    > --
    > Regards Ron de Bruin
    > http://www.rondebruin.nl

    Thanks to both of you. I didn't know the newer versions had this
    option. But I'm using XL2000 anyway.

  6. #6
    davegb

    Kletcho wrote:
    > You could look at using Excel's built in form (data -- forms).

    Sounds like that might have possibilities. Hadn't thought of using a
    form to input the new data. But I'd still have to have code to
    unprotect/protect the document to enter the data, wouldn't I?

    Still, it might solve other problems. Will think about that approach.

  7. #7
    Don Wiss

    On 21 Apr 2006 14:25:18 -0700, davegb <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know that if I protect a spreadsheet, new rows can't be added. I'm
    >building a new spreadsheet for some of our less-knowledgeable users. I
    >only want them to be able to enter data, but this means they have to be
    >able to add rows for new/additional data. My plan is to create a macro
    >that prompts them to select the line above which they want to insert
    >new rows, tell it how many rows they want to add (1-10), then unprotect
    >the worksheet, add the new rows, adjust the sums to include the new
    >rows, if neccessary, then reprotect the spreadsheet.
    >
    >I'm interested in feedback on:
    >
    >Is this the best way to do this, or is there a better way to allow them
    >access but protect the cells with text and formulas?

    I do that all the time. I have several universal macros to do this. One
    calls an InputBox telling the user how many rows the range already has, and
    asking for how many to add/delete. Then AddRowsCore takes the range name,
    the number of rows to add, plus pairs of column letters. First pair is the
    first and last column, then other pairs are column starts and stops for
    moving up the user's data. You have to insert one row above the last to
    keep the ranges intact. They could have data in the last row. So you move
    it up. Other columns are copied down. Then the third macro deletes rows if
    they enter a negative number. And a button from the Forms toolbar starts it
    all.

  8. #8
    davegb

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On 21 Apr 2006 14:25:18 -0700, davegb <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I know that if I protect a spreadsheet, new rows can't be added. I'm
    > >building a new spreadsheet for some of our less-knowledgeable users. I
    > >only want them to be able to enter data, but this means they have to be
    > >able to add rows for new/additional data. My plan is to create a macro
    > >that prompts them to select the line above which they want to insert
    > >new rows, tell it how many rows they want to add (1-10), then unprotect
    > >the worksheet, add the new rows, adjust the sums to include the new
    > >rows, if neccessary, then reprotect the spreadsheet.
    > >
    > >I'm interested in feedback on:
    > >
    > >Is this the best way to do this, or is there a better way to allow them
    > >access but protect the cells with text and formulas?

    > I do that all the time. I have several universal macros to do this. One
    > calls an InputBox telling the user how many rows the range already has, and
    > asking for how many to add/delete. Then AddRowsCore takes the range name,
    > the number of rows to add, plus pairs of column letters. First pair is the
    > first and last column, then other pairs are column starts and stops for
    > moving up the user's data. You have to insert one row above the last to
    > keep the ranges intact. They could have data in the last row. So you move
    > it up. Other columns are copied down. Then the third macro deletes rows if
    > they enter a negative number. And a button from the Forms toolbar starts it
    > all.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Thanks for the replies. After looking over the various possible
    approaches, I decided it would probably be easier to just have the
    macro create a new worksheet from scratch each time. This seemed easier
    than adding/deleting rows when there are subtotals between the
    different categories which would have to be adjusted each time. Seemed
    like a lot of possibilities for problems with the macro. It will use
    some of the ideas all of you submitted.