sumproduct doesn't work

  1. #1
    Bonkers
    Guest

    sumproduct doesn't work

    I'm using this formula =sumproduct(--(G33:G37="OTT"),N33:N37) this should sum
    values of N33 throug N37 if the corresponding G33 through G37 has OTT in the
    cell. It returns 0. If I change the contents of cells G33:G37 from OTT to
    another group of letters such as dl and update the formula it returns the
    correct response. What could possibly be wrong with using OTT in the cell
    that it won't work in the formula - very strange.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: sumproduct doesn't work

    One possibility is that the cells in column G contain OTT followed by a space.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Bonkers
    Guest

    RE: sumproduct doesn't work

    Thanks Gary but no - no space in OTT. The column contains many different
    acronyms (not just OTT) and none of them work until I change the acronym to
    something else, alter the formula to reflect that change. Once again - very
    strange!

  4. #4
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Not sure why your formula doesn't work but you only really need SUMIF

    =sumif(G33:G37,"OTT",N33:N37)

  5. #5
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: sumproduct doesn't work

    Is Calculation set to Manual?

    Sandy

    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: sumproduct doesn't work

    Do you have (oh) T T or (zero) T T in the cell?

    And does it match what you have in the formula?

  7. #7
    Bonkers
    Guest

    Re: sumproduct doesn't work

    No - if I change the cell to any other word it works fine - leads me to
    believe the contents of the cells are somehow linked to another function that
    won't allow their inclusion in a formula or somehow renders them
    unrecognizable. I'm working with someone else's spreadsheet so I'm not
    totally familiar with what has been done.

  8. #8
    Bonkers
    Guest

    Re: sumproduct doesn't work

    I tried this as well after struggling with sumproduct and coudn't get it to
    work either. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Bonkers
    Guest

    Re: sumproduct doesn't work

    Hi Dave,

    Capital O as in Oh

    I've tried this on a new spreadsheet and it works just fine - something on
    the existing sheet won't allow any of the acronyms to be seen in a new
    formula. I've turned off 'Autosum' and 'Subtotals' to see if these affected
    it but no change. I can put these acronyms in another column and alter the
    formula and they work.

  10. #10
    Bonkers
    Guest

    Re: sumproduct doesn't work

    Fixed it - When I was typing in the acronym into the cell the autotyping was
    finishing it off with the additional spaces the other cells contained -
    that's a bit embarrassing! Thanks for everyone's help here and sorry for the
    mind bender.