Conditional Formatting

  1. #1

    Conditional Formatting

    Hey,

    I have a workbook with a range of C3:E17 and i want excel to format a cell if specific text within a string is entered into a cell. The cells contence will be similar to this for example. John Smith Application or John Smith Settlement. How do i make excel format one colour for Applications and another for Settlements?

  2. #2
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting

    Try:

    1. Select the range C3:E17 with C3 the active cell
    2. Select Format > Conditional Formatting
    3. Select "Formula Is" from the dropdown
    4. Enter the following in the formula window:
    =Find("Settlement", C3)
    5. Click the Format button and select the desired format
    6. Click OK to close the Format Cells dialog
    7. Now click the Add button to add a new conditional format
    8. Repeat steps 3 to 6 except enter this formula:
    = Find("Application", C3)
    9. After closing the Format Cells dialog click the OK button in the
    Conditional Formatting dialog to finish

    Note that the above formulas are relative and will be set to each cell
    within the selected range, not just cell C3.

    Regards,
    Greg

  3. #3
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting

    Use Search instead of Find if you don't want it to be case-sensitive.

    Greg