Excel formula for finding next number in a given sequence?

  1. #1
    Rod
    Guest

    Excel formula for finding next number in a given sequence?

    I would like to know if there is a formula that can determine what number
    comes next in a sequence of given numbers.

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    Los Angeles, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    Posts
    12,637

    Re: Sequences

    Unless you know before hand whether the sequence is Arithmetic or Geometric, you may have a very tough time writing a macro to figure it out by testing data in cells. You could assume it to be Arithmetic and take the difference between the last two cells and add it to the value in the last cell to get the next value, but...
    --------------------
    Ben

  3. #3
    doco
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula for finding next number in a given sequence?

    Ummm... N + 1?

    How about more information...

    doco

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: Excel formula for finding next number in a given sequence?

    You might find
    http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/
    useful. If that is not what you are asking, then reply back with more
    complete description.

    Jerry