fill series - I think!

  1. #1
    Laurina
    Guest

    fill series - I think!

    I need to create a planner - previously have manually inputted all the Mon
    Tue dates and click and dragged the rest but wondered if there was a better
    way. Need M, T, W, T, F dates skip weekend, start again.

    Have tried doing it by dragging over a 2 week period to see if the pattern
    is recognised but it doesn't work.

    Laurina

  2. #2
    Laurina

    I am using Excel 2003 and I have tried the following:

    Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

    in columns A to J.

    When i select the lot then drag to the right it starts from Monday then end the week on Friday, then starts again with Monday, etc...

    Is this what you are after?

  3. #3
    Laurina
    Guest

    Re: fill series - I think!

    Not quite. Here's an example

    M 28-Sep
    T 29-Sep
    W 30-Sep
    Th 1-Oct
    F 2-Oct
    M 4-Oct
    T 5-Oct
    W 6-Oct
    Th 7-Oct
    F 8-Oct

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: fill series - I think!

    Hi Laurina

    Try using the Workday() function.

    With your first date in A1, in A2 enter
    =WORKDAY(A1,1)
    Copy down and you will just get the workdays of each week.
    If you want to exclude Public Holidays from the list, then pout those
    dates in a range of cells and either name the range as Holidays or refer
    directly to the range of cells holding the dates with the following
    modified formula
    =WORKDAY(A1,1,holidays) or = WORKDAY(A1,1,$E1:$E10) where E1:E10 holds
    the range of holiday dates.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Laurina
    Guest

    Re: fill series - I think!

    Thanks for that but the file isn't recognising the workday bit - comes up
    with #name and then #ref.

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: fill series - I think!

    Hi Laurina

    I should have added that you need the Analysis Toolpak loaded.
    Tools>Addins> and check Analysis Toolpak

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: fill series - I think!

    Laurina

    The WORKDAY Function is from the Analysis Toolpak Add-in.

    Load it through Tools>Add-ins to eliminate the #NAME! error.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  8. #8
    Laurina
    Guest

    Re: fill series - I think!

    thanks. Have done this but #ref doesn't go away. possibly something to do
    with the server??

  9. #9
    Laurina
    Guest

    Re: fill series - I think!

    ignore last message - had entered date as text - it now works - thanks