squaring a number

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    San Francisco Bay Area
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365 Aps for enterprise.

    squaring a number

    Hi,
    Is there a built-in command for squaring a number in Excel?
    If I have a number say 5 in a cell A1 to do 5 x 5 how would I do it other than
    '=a1 x a1'

    Thanks
    Aziz

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,486
    =POWER(A1,2)
    2 is squared if you want cubed then 3, etc..

  3. #3
    vcard
    Guest

    Re: squaring a number

    How about using exponent:
    =a1^2

    Regards,
    vcard

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: squaring a number

    There is a power function in Excel, and an exponentiation operator. So your
    choices are:

    =a1*a1
    =a1^2
    =Power(a1,2)

    Does this help?

    Fred

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: squaring a number

    One way

    Use the exponentiation operator "^"

    In say, B1: =A1^2

    --
    Max
    Singapore

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    San Francisco Bay Area
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365 Aps for enterprise.
    Thank you all.
    Aziz

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: squaring a number

    Using the caret(^) found on the keyboard you construct a formula...............

    =5^2 returns 25 which is 5 squared

    =5^3 returns 125 which is 5 cubed

    Or you can use the more unwieldy POWER function.

    =POWER(5,2) to return 25

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP