Auto Fill Series issue...

  1. #1

    Auto Fill Series issue...

    I have what is probably not an entirely unique question.
    Background: I have two sets of data -- (1) Consecutive numbers 50000 - 52499 (2) Consecutive numbers 60000 - 62499
    Thanks to auto-fill series, I didn't have to key in two sets of 2500 numbers....however, now I need ONE worksheet with both sets alternating from low to high. Example:
    and so on.
    Without formulas (as this is not an option for my usage), is there a way to auto-fill this series? I have even tried the questsin add-in, but no results were found.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Auto Fill Series issue...

    I think you should fill down with a formula and then convert the result to
    values using copy/paste special.

    --
    Jim
    "e3donald" <[email protected]> wrote in

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Auto Fill Series issue...

    I would do this by inserting a column to the left of each filled
    series, and numbering the rows from 1 to 2500, so they would look like
    this:
    Col A Col B
    1 50000
    2 50001
    etc
    2500 52499
    1 60000
    2 60001
    etc
    2500 62499

    I would then copy the first set of numbers (A1:B2500) into the desired
    location, and copy the second set of numbers directly under the first
    set. Highlight the entire range, and sort on column A and secondarily
    on column B.

    Just one way to skin this cat.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Auto Fill Series issue...

    No formulas??

    How about a macro?

    Assuming you have your two columns of numbers in A and B

    Sub CombineCols()
    'combine 2 columns to one with data from Col 2 being inserted
    'between data from Col 1
    Range("A1").Select
    Do Until ActiveCell.Value = ""
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).EntireRow.Select
    ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert
    ActiveCell.Select
    ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1).Value
    ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1).Value = ""
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop
    End Sub

    Will take a while on a slower computer so be patient.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP