Decimal value changed after pasting data

  1. #1

    Decimal value changed after pasting data

    I copy report data (has multiple columns) from an emulation session (host explorer) and paste on Excel for calculation. It used to work beautifully. Somehow it doesn't seem to work anymore. For some numbers with one decimal, some of the decimal value got changed to zero (i.e. 53.1 to 53.0, 125.6 to 125.0 etc...). However, it does work for some other numbers within the same column.

    Any idea what could be the problem? I'm running Excel 2k sp3 on Win2k. Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Decimal value changed after pasting data

    There's no chance that the column width is just too narrow to show the decimal
    portions of the values? (125.6 would have appeared as 127, though.)

    If you're copying from a Host Explorer session (just selecting and edit|copy),
    maybe you could paste into Notepad to test to see what you're actually picking
    up???

  3. #3
    Column width is not too narrow and it pastes on Notepad & Word fine. However, just strangely converted some, but not all, decimal portion when paste in Excel. Unfortunately, Notepad & Word seem to lose the column identity such that when I tried to recopy from Notepad or Word to Excel, the data resulted in a single column. Any other thoughts?

  4. #4
    I finally figured it out --
    Used 'Paste Special', then select 'csv'.

    Thanks Dave for your attempt to help!