Opening a workbook, passwords and error 1004.

  1. #1

    Opening a workbook, passwords and error 1004.

    Looked through this forum but am not able to find anything related. I hope that some of you are able to help me.

    I'm trying to trap a password error when opening a protected workbook to give the user another chance to enter it. The problem is though that when a incorrect password is used I get the general error code 1004 which is basically used for a lot of things and not specific a password error. Same error I also get when trying to e.g. open a file other then a workbook.

    When I switch error checking on I get the 1004 error plus a description telling me that the password is incorrect. When error checking is left off I only get 1004 for the Err parameter. When checking Err.Description I find it to be a null string, same for Err.HelpContext.

    It's probably a dumm question with an obvious answer but do any of you know how to trap an incorrect password used when opening a workbook?

    Thanks and best regards,

    Leon

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Opening a workbook, passwords and error 1004.

    This is one way to trap a bad password, fwiw:

    Sub OpenWorkbook()
    Dim TryCount As Integer
    On Error Resume Next
    TryAgain:
    Err.Clear
    Workbooks.Open "C:\withpass.xls"
    If InStr(1, Err.Description, "password") > 0 Then
    If TryCount = 0 Then
    MsgBox "Wrong password. Try again"
    TryCount = 1
    GoTo TryAgain
    Else
    MsgBox "Sorry"

    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Hi Jim,

    Thanks for your reply. I did previously try both the Err.Description and Err.HelpContext way but I found both to be a null strings.

    HOWEVER, using your code it indeed worked. I still don't understand why it didn't work for me before though but for the moment that ain't important.

    Thanks again.

    Best regards,

    Leon