Macro to get comments out of a spreadsheet

  1. #1

    Macro to get comments out of a spreadsheet

    I would like to create a macro to get the commnets out of each cell and then add and display in another worksheet

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Macro to get comments out of a spreadsheet

    Record as a macro the following steps:
    Select all cells
    Copy
    Select new sheet
    Pastespecial Comments

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „shanelaura” ezt *rta:

  3. #3
    Thank you for the reply
    Not quite the result I'm looking for
    I would like to see the comments added to a blank spread not in comment form but in text form if that makes sense

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro to get comments out of a spreadsheet

    shanelaura,

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim i As Long

    For Each rng In Selection
    If Not rng.Comment Is Nothing Then
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(2).Range("A1").Offset(i, 0).Value =
    rng.Comment.Text
    i = i + 1
    End If
    Next

    End Sub

    NickHK

    "shanelaura" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Macro to get comments out of a spreadsheet

    Hi,

    Here is some code to get you started.

    Sub TOC_Comments()

    Dim rngCmt As Range
    Dim rngCmts As Range
    Dim rngOutput As Range

    Set rngCmts = ActiveSheet.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeComments)
    Set rngOutput = Worksheets.Add.Range("A1")

    For Each rngCmt In rngCmts.Cells
    rngOutput = "'" & rngCmt.Parent.Name & "'!" & rngCmt.Address
    rngOutput.Offset(0, 1) = rngCmt.Comment.Text
    Set rngOutput = rngOutput.Offset(1, 0)
    Next

    End Sub

    Cheers
    Andy

    shanelaura wrote:
    > Thank you for the reply
    > Not quite the result I'm looking for
    > I would like to see the comments added to a blank spread not in comment
    > form but in text form if that makes sense

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  6. #6
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: Macro to get comments out of a spreadsheet

    Sorry, I misunderstood your request. This UDF will display comments in source
    sheet (Sheet1) as cell contents in destination sheet (Sheet2):

    Function CommText(sourcesheet, cellrow, cellcol)
    If Worksheets(sourcesheet).Cells(cellrow, cellcol).Comment Is Nothing Then
    CommText = ""
    Else
    CommText = Worksheets(sourcesheet).Cells(cellrow,
    cellcol).Comment.Text
    End If
    End Function

    Enter in A1 in Sheet2
    =CommText("Sheet1",ROW(),COLUMN())

    and fill it right and down as required!

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „shanelaura” ezt *rta:

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Macro to get comments out of a spreadsheet

    Here is something else you might be interested in:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelM.htm#PrintComments

    A Chip Pearson's site.

    Tom Ogilvy