Opening a .csv file

  1. #1
    dan
    Guest

    Opening a .csv file

    Currently I save my daily data.csv file as "data" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy") &
    ".csv"
    If I save it as "data.csv" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy"), I cannot open it in its
    csv format.
    Is there a vba code to open it in csv format.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Under VB code you would simply open the file, however, you may find it easier to open the file via Data, Import External Data , or by File, Open and specify Files of all Types *.* - and import via the wizard using the defaults

    A file is recognised (in this case) by its affix, ie, by .csv and if you change that to .csv060606 then the file format will not be automatically recognised. (note, this would not be considered good practice).

    Hope this helps

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by dan

  3. #3
    dan
    Guest

    Re: Opening a .csv file

    Currently I am doing it with .xls files, will you consider this not a good
    practice.
    I want to do the right thing. Thanks

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    In a browser (My Computer, not Internet) look in Tools, Folder Options, FileTypes.
    This is where the system shows what program will be used to open files of various types.

    Using a system that changes .xls to .xls060606 (or other dates) will either mean that the system does not recognise your files, or that you register each 'type', in this case each file.

    Others trying to view your files will also need to follow suit.

    I presume that would indicate it is 'not good practice'.

    Excel workbook names should end in .xls (etc), and Comma Separated Value file names should end in .csv

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by dan
    Currently I am doing it with .xls files, will you consider this not a good
    practice.
    I want to do the right thing. Thanks

    "Bryan Hessey" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    dan
    Guest

    Re: Opening a .csv file

    I looked in Tools, Folder Options, FileTypes
    I did not find anything like (.xls060606) other than .xls
    However, the icon for .xls060606 is unknown type, but
    I can still open it with no extra effort in xls format.
    I don't use this method for any other extension.
    I believe someone suggested me so some time ago.
    I have been doing that way at least a year and have no problem.
    For .xls file, it does not affect any of its integrity.
    I wish to hear from other comments.

    "Bryan Hessey" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Another view can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename_extension

    Quote Originally Posted by dan
    I looked in Tools, Folder Options, FileTypes
    I did not find anything like (.xls060606) other than .xls
    However, the icon for .xls060606 is unknown type,
    it is unknown if it was not present in the list

    but
    I can still open it with no extra effort in xls format.
    I don't use this method for any other extension.
    certain filetypes (.Doc .xls etc) have internal filetype recognition.

    I believe someone suggested me so some time ago.
    I would check with that someone to see if they intended you to add the date to the filename (proper) rather than to the file extension

    I have been doing that way at least a year and have no problem.
    For .xls file, it does not affect any of its integrity.
    I wish to hear from other comments.
    . . . but it's your pc.

    --

    "Bryan Hessey" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > In a browser (My Computer, not Internet) look in Tools, Folder Options,
    > FileTypes.
    > This is where the system shows what program will be used to open files
    > of various types.
    >
    > Using a system that changes .xls to .xls060606 (or other dates) will
    > either mean that the system does not recognise your files, or that you
    > register each 'type', in this case each file.
    >
    > Others trying to view your files will also need to follow suit.
    >
    > I presume that would indicate it is 'not good practice'.
    >
    > Excel workbook names should end in .xls (etc), and Comma Separated
    > Value file names should end in .csv
    >
    > --
    >
    > dan Wrote:
    >> Currently I am doing it with .xls files, will you consider this not a
    >> good
    >> practice.
    >> I want to do the right thing. Thanks
    >>
    >> "Bryan Hessey"
    >> <[email protected]>
    >> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > Under VB code you would simply open the file, however, you may find

    >> it
    >> > easier to open the file via Data, Import External Data , or by File,
    >> > Open and specify Files of all Types *.* - and import via the wizard
    >> > using the defaults
    >> >
    >> > A file is recognised (in this case) by its affix, ie, by .csv and if
    >> > you change that to .csv060606 then the file format will not be
    >> > automatically recognised. (note, this would not be considered good
    >> > practice).
    >> >
    >> > Hope this helps
    >> >
    >> > --

    >> it