Ranking Data

  1. #1
    Marcus
    Guest

    Ranking Data

    Hello,
    What I am trying to do is get a ranking based off of data. Example: I
    have a database with store #'s and their sales. I want to be able to rank who
    did the best in sales on a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on, and return it to a
    different sheet than what the data is kept in. Anyone got any ideas???

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Ranking Data

    Say your original data is in Sheet1 column A. In Sheet2, A1 enter:

    =LARGE(Sheet1!A:A,ROW()) and copy down

    The highest value will be first, the second highest nextm etc.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Marcus
    Guest

    RE: Ranking Data

    I also want the store # with it. Example. Sheet1 Column A is the store #,
    Column 2 is the sales. I want to return both columns based of the highest
    sales.

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Ranking Data

    O.K., we modify the ranking formula because your original sales data is in
    column B:

    =LARGE(Sheet1!B:B,ROW()) (still in column A of Sheet2)

    Now we have to do the equivalent of VLOOKUP to get the store number:

    =INDIRECT("Sheet1!A" & MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0)) (in another column of Sheet2)
    --
    Gary's Student

  5. #5
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Hi Gary''s Student, surely INDEX is preferable to INDIRECT.....

    =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0))

    although there will be problems with this approach if there are ties......

  6. #6
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: Ranking Data

    You are correct, INDEX() works just fine. I only wish we could use VLOOKUP
    here.
    --
    Gary's Student

  7. #7
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Ranking Data

    What about overcoming the problem with tied values - if you have two
    second placed stores then only the first in the list will be reported.
    The way I have overcome this in the past is to have a helper column
    which records the position of the item, then use this to determine the
    range to use for the next LARGE function (using INDIRECT - it gets
    messy).

    Pete

  8. #8
    Marcus