Need Help With A Formula Please

  1. #1
    Autumn Dreams
    Guest

    Need Help With A Formula Please

    I guess I did not make myself clear in my original post. I need a formula
    that If A1<=B1, A1-B1,0 and If A1>=B1-A1,0. When I try this as an IF formula
    it comes back FALSE. This is for a cash over/under formula. For instance
    when you take in money at a restaurant, you find your cash over/under by
    totaling the sales receipts minus the credit card amounts. After you remove
    you starting amount of cash (cash drawer) from the total cash you have, if
    the remaining cash does not equal that amount you have a cash over/short. I
    need a formula that calculates this. A being the amount of cash you should
    have and B being the amount you actually have. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need Help With A Formula Please

    Surely it is just

    B1-A1

    or if you want a message

    =IF(B1-A1=0,"No problem","Problem")

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Dreams
    I guess I did not make myself clear in my original post. I need a formula
    that If A1<=B1, A1-B1,0 and If A1>=B1-A1,0. When I try this as an IF formula
    it comes back FALSE.
    does this work

    won't you always end up with a neg number?
    Besides you are asking the same thing but want different results if A1=B1 then A1-B1 if A1=B1 then B1-A1
    How can this happen??

  4. #4
    Autumn Dreams
    Guest

    Re: Need Help With A Formula Please

    Thank you, but that only reflects one of the answers I need. If I do 2
    columns with B1-A1 and the other A1-B1, I get to different answers showing at
    the same time. I need just one answer or zero to indicate they are equal.
    ie If B is greater than A it's a positive (overage), if B is less than A it's
    a negative (shortage). Hope this explains what I need better. Thank you.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need Help With A Formula Please

    Why do it twice? Obviously 11-10 is different to 10-11, it is a different
    sum so it gives a different result.