Format for degrees

  1. #1
    Biff
    Guest

    Format for degrees

    Hi folks!

    Working on a project and using a formula like this just so we can get the
    degree sign:

    =TEXT(ROUND(DEGREES(ATAN2((C6-C30)/2,A25)),1),"0.0")&CHAR(176)

    This obviously results in a text value.

    How can I dump the TEXT function and the CHAR function and format the cell
    to display the degree sign and still be a numeric data type?

    Thanks!

    Biff

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Format for degrees

    You can just add the ° symbol to your Custom Number format. Hold down the
    Alt key and type 0176.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    Biff,
    Try
    =VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"°",0))*B1 where A1 is the text with Chr (176). The text is converted to a number that can be used in another formula. By substituting the 0 (Zero) for the ° degree character you lose any background numerical accuracy.
    Hint to enter the ° charater using the keyboard use "Alt 0176"
    Casey

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Format for degrees

    Hi!

    Thanks for the reply. I can pretty much figure out ways to use the text
    value in other calcs but I was looking (hoping) for a custom number format.
    I'm not so good at creating custom formats!

    Thanks!

    Biff

    "Casey" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Format for degrees

    Hi!

    >You can just add the ° symbol to your Custom Number format.

    Well, that's the problem! I don't know what that custom number format would
    be!

    Thanks!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    Biff,
    Go to Format>Cells>Number>Category Custom and Type:
    0.00 ° Insert the ° using the keyboard entry from my first post. It works for me.
    The entry into the cell either by typing or by formula puts a ° symbol after the number and yet the cell contents can still be used in other formulas because it reads like any other number.

    Hope that is what you were looking for.

  7. #7
    Elkar
    Guest

    Re: Format for degrees

    Well, it appears that you want to display a number with one decimal place, so
    your Custom Format should look like this:

    0.0°

    Or is there something I'm missing?

    HTH,
    Elkar

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Format for degrees

    format>cells>number>custom

    Type

    0.0

    then hold down alt key while typing 0176 on the numpad, release alt key

    Peo

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: Format for degrees

    Hi Biff:

    Let's say that in A1 we have 30.123456
    this is a little more than 30 degrees.

    In A2 put =A1/24
    and format A2:
    Format > Cells... > Number > Custom and enter
    [hh]°mm'ss\"
    in place of
    General
    to see: 30°07'24"

    --
    Gary''s Student

  10. #10
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Format for degrees

    Well, all I can say is........Doh!

    Sometimes I'm so "thick" it's not funny. LOL!

    Thanks to everyone for responding.

    Biff