Reply for Macropod

  1. #1
    Zygy
    Guest

    Reply for Macropod

    In your reply in Negative Values on the 28th you stated:-
    <The formatting options only apply to the cells selected at the time the
    options are applied. If you want a whole row/column/worksheet to be
    affected, all of that row/column/worksheet must be selected.>

    But you did not specify how to do the whole worksheet. In Formatting the
    dropdown menu does not cater for changes to presentation of negative values
    for a worksheet, so which way can I format it?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    Waikato, New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    Posts
    2,243
    HI Zygy,

    Please check your original thread:

    http://excelforum.com/showthread.php...32#post1572732

    I think you know how to do this (?), but once your range is selected go to Format - Cells - Number, select Currency (in left column) and choose the format you want from the negative values area.

    hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ
    Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

  3. #3
    Zygy
    Guest

    Re: Reply for Macropod

    Thank you for the answer, but I tried that and it does not work. In any case
    that is supposed to change only the selected cell, it does not change the
    negative values occurring in other places, therefore I must have it for a
    whole sheet. Macroport stated that it is possible, but he did not say which
    way!

    It would be a good idea if persons making suggestions to solve a problem
    ALWAYS stated how to achieve this as it is done by the professionals.

    "broro183" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: Reply for Macropod

    Hi Zygy,

    To format the whole sheet:
    .. click on the grey rectangle in the upper left corner (ie just above row 1
    and to the left of column A)
    .. use Format|Cells|Number and choose the format you want.

    Note that the above applies to a single worksheet. If you want to apply the
    formatting to all worksheets in a workbook:
    .. select the first worksheet in the workbook,
    .. Click on the grey rectangle in the upper left corner
    .. click on the tab for the last worksheet in the workbook
    .. use Format|Cells|Number and choose the format you want.

    Cheers
    PS: It's usually best to continue a line of discussion in the original
    thread.

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Zygy
    Guest

    Re: Reply for Macropod

    Many thanks for the reply. I had a warning from Rob Brocket that if I do
    that there will be "quite an increase in your file size", so I tried to
    format only a used column as he suggested. When I followed his instruction
    as in:-http://excelforum.com/showthread.php?p=1572732#post1572732 my Tool
    Bar changed so now I am missing £ icon, decimal point etc and all the £
    disappeared in the whole column, although now the negative balances appear
    automatically in read, but without the £ in front of the figures!

    Where did I go wrong and how can I retain the £ both in the toolbar and in
    all the figures in a formatted column?

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: Reply for Macropod

    Hi Zygy,

    I guess you didn't choose a format with the '£' in front before applying the
    'Custom' format.
    The simplest approach would be to redo the formatting exactly as I
    suggested - including choosing a format with the '£' in front, required # of
    decimal points, thousands separator, etc. - for both +ve and -ve values.

    As for your toolbar changing so you've lost the £ icon, decimal point etc,
    there's nothing in Rob's advice that would cause that. If you've lost the
    whole formatting toolbar, you can put it back again via View|Toolbars and
    checking the 'Formatting' option. If you've only lost some of the icons from
    that toolbar, you can recover all of them via
    View|Toolbars|Customise|Toolbars, selecting the 'Formatting' option and
    clicking 'Reset'.

    Cheers

    "Zygy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Many thanks for the reply. I had a warning from Rob Brocket that if I do
    > that there will be "quite an increase in your file size", so I tried to
    > format only a used column as he suggested. When I followed his instruction
    > as in:-http://excelforum.com/showthread.php?p=1572732#post1572732 my Tool
    > Bar changed so now I am missing £ icon, decimal point etc and all the £
    > disappeared in the whole column, although now the negative balances appear
    > automatically in read, but without the £ in front of the figures!
    >
    > Where did I go wrong and how can I retain the £ both in the toolbar and in
    > all the figures in a formatted column?
    >
    > "macropod" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Zygy,
    > >
    > > To format the whole sheet:
    > > . click on the grey rectangle in the upper left corner (ie just above

    row
    > > 1
    > > and to the left of column A)
    > > . use Format|Cells|Number and choose the format you want.
    > >
    > > Note that the above applies to a single worksheet. If you want to apply
    > > the
    > > formatting to all worksheets in a workbook:
    > > . select the first worksheet in the workbook,
    > > . Click on the grey rectangle in the upper left corner
    > > . click on the tab for the last worksheet in the workbook
    > > . use Format|Cells|Number and choose the format you want.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > PS: It's usually best to continue a line of discussion in the original
    > > thread.
    > >

    > > "Zygy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Thank you for the answer, but I tried that and it does not work. In any

    > > case
    > >> that is supposed to change only the selected cell, it does not change

    the
    > >> negative values occurring in other places, therefore I must have it for

    > >> whole sheet. Macroport stated that it is possible, but he did not say

    > > which
    > >> way!
    > >>
    > >> It would be a good idea if persons making suggestions to solve a

    problem
    > >> ALWAYS stated how to achieve this as it is done by the professionals.
    > >>
    > >> "broro183" <[email protected]>

    wrote

  7. #7
    Zygy
    Guest

    Re: Reply for Macropod

    Many thanks for the very comprehensive reply. I did chose
    the -£5,300.00 in red, the last one in the menu. Maybe I started the
    formatting the wrong way. I clicked on the letter of the column, then I went
    to Format>Cells>Currency and made my selection as above. But then all the £
    signs disappeared from the column.

    What did I do wrong? I am a self taught operator of Excel, so you must make
    allowances for ignorance!

  8. #8
    Zygy
    Guest

    Re: Reply for Macropod

    I solved the problem. To retain the £ in front of the figures in a cell it
    is necessary to select it from the Symbols menu when Formatting! Thank you
    all for the contribution to my problem!