cell format: numbers won't be numbers

  1. #1
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    I have some data that I copied out from a webpage (a credit card summary)
    which I have since added several other columns around it (i.e., I would much
    rather not have to paste it again) and the numbers won't act like numbers.
    I've tried copying them out, and doing "paste special" into a new worksheet
    with all of the different "paste special" options, and I have also tried all
    of the formatting options (currency, numbers, etc.) and still they will not
    be treated as numbers by Excel.

    Is there anything else I can try?

    Thanks,
    Craig

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Insert a 1 in an unused cell. Press <Ctrl><C>. Now select the range where
    your numbers are not treated as numbers, then right click, select Paste
    Special, and tick the Multiply option.

  3. #3
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Thank you, that was a crafty idea, but alas, it did not work. <sigh> any
    other ideas?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Craig

    The numbers are probably copied in as text.

    Re-formatting alone will not change them.

    Try this method...................

    Format all cells to General.

    Copy an empty cell and selet the "numbers"

    Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc

    That should change the "numbers" into real numerics.

    If no joy, there could be spaces before or after the numbers.

    These could be non-breaking spaces(160) which can be hard to get rid of.

    David McRitchie has a TRIMALL macro that looks for the non-breaking space (160)
    along with other crap in cells.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:59:00 -0600, "Craig Fletcher" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have some data that I copied out from a webpage (a credit card summary)
    >which I have since added several other columns around it (i.e., I would much
    >rather not have to paste it again) and the numbers won't act like numbers.
    >I've tried copying them out, and doing "paste special" into a new worksheet
    >with all of the different "paste special" options, and I have also tried all
    >of the formatting options (currency, numbers, etc.) and still they will not
    >be treated as numbers by Excel.
    >
    >Is there anything else I can try?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Craig

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Also,

    I went to that same site and tried the paste again, and noticed that the
    format it wants to paste into Excel with is "General".

  6. #6
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Thanks Gord...

    I apologize, but I don't know what you mean by 'copy an empty cell and
    select the "numbers", because if the cell is empty, there are no numbers,
    right? Please help me understand, I think we are just miscommunicating.

    I really appreciate your time

  7. #7
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Ah-ha... the cells I pasted in here do have spaces after the "numbers" (that
    won't act like numbers). I tried the TRIM function in Excel but the spaces
    won't go away. I'm not very familiar with VB or Macros, but I saw the site
    and I am going to try some more.

    Thanks for the tip....

  8. #8
    kassie
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    I think you'll have to use Dave McRitchies's tool to fix your text! as
    suggested by Gord Dibben! Sounds like you definitely have some spaces in
    there.

  9. #9
    Have you tried Data>Text to Columns?

  10. #10
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    If you feel comfortable with VBA, you can try:

    Sub numerify()
    Dim r As Range
    Count = 0
    For Each r In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    If Application.IsText(r.Value) Then
    If IsNumeric(r.Value) Then
    r.Value = 1# * r.Value
    r.NumberFormat = "General"
    Count = Count + 1
    Next
    MsgBox (Count & " cells changed")

    Gary's Student

  11. #11
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Student O Gary:

    This worked great.. I just had to read about how to set up a macro. Good
    stuff, thanks much!!

    It's weird that TRIM didn't do it, but I don't know enough about this to
    understand why.

    Craig

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    You are very welcome.
    --
    Gary's Student

  13. #13
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: cell format: numbers won't be numbers

    Craig

    I see from subsequent posts that you got straightened out.

    Copy an empty cell means select any empty cell and Edit>Copy.

    Select the numbers means select the range of cells that contain the problem
    data.

    Then Edit>Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.

    Gord