Text in formula bar but not the cell

  1. #1

    Unhappy Text in formula bar but not the cell

    I have a strange occurence - my text appears in the formula bar, but does not show in the cell. Any help out there?

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Text in formula bar but not the cell

    Is the font color set the same as the background color? (ie. White on White)

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3

    Re: Text in formula bar but not the cell

    Does formatting the cell as General help?

    Do you have format|conditional formatting applied to that cell?

    Do you have any normal formatting (like white font on white fill) applied to
    that cell?

  4. #4

    Thanks for the suggestions...

    but the first thing I checked was to see if I accidently made the fill and font the same color. I hadn't. I can't figure out what conditional formatting I might have that would cause the contents of the cell not to be visible. Has to be something on my machine... if I view it on someone else's cpu, it shows! #$%^$#!

  5. #5

    Re: Text in formula bar but not the cell

    I don't have a good guess at why a different pc can open the same file and see
    the value.

    Any chance you could just select that cell
    edit|clear|All

    And retype the formula/value.

  6. #6
    Art Farrell
    Guest

    Re: Text in formula bar but not the cell

    Hi,

    As Dave said setting the format to General may take care of it. Another way
    to get the condition you have is to put a Custom format of- ;;; -in the
    cell. This will show a blank cell and text will show in the formula bar.

    CHORDially,
    Art Farrell

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7

    Re: Text in formula bar but not the cell

    But that wouldn't explain why another user could see the value when they opened
    the workbook on their pc.

    I'm hoping that Rickula2 finds the solution and posts back.

  8. #8
    Michigan, USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Text in formula bar but not the cell

    THis may be a silly answer to your query but I had a similar instance.
    After beating my brain for a few hours and trying everything under the sun,
    I took time to review the formula and found it said if(data,data,"")
    The cell was empty because the formula said to put "" in the cell.

  9. #9
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,926

    Re: Text in formula bar but not the cell

    Rodney, welcome to the forum

    thanks for your contribution to this

    However, this thread is 8 years old, I doubt anyone is still following it
    (Dont feel bad, this happens all the time )
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford