How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

  1. #1
    Bleu_808
    Guest

    How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Okay - after an hour on trying to work on what I thought was an easy
    task 0 I must ask for help!

    My column A is a list of order numbers, each order is separated by a
    blank row...

    ex:

    What I would like to do is delete the duplicate order numbers, without
    affecting the rest of the row. I thought this might be a simple if
    statement, but no. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance - Bleu

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Try:
    1. select the column
    2. pull-down:
    Data > Filter : Advanced Filter > and check unique records only

    This should eliminate the duplicates

    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Some VBA

    Sub test()
    Dim iLastRow As Long
    Dim i As Long

    iLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = iLastRow To 2 Step -1
    If Application.CountIf(Columns(1), Cells(i, "A")) > 1 Then
    Cells(i, "A").Delete Shift:=xlUp
    End If
    Next i

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bleu_808
    Guest

    Re: How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Thanks, but this affects the rest of the rows. I need to be able to
    view the info in the row, just don't want to see this cell duplicated.
    Unless I am doing it wrong???

  5. #5
    Bleu_808
    Guest

    Re: How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Bob, Thanks - but this did not work for me. Let me explain a little
    better...

    ex:
    1234 Part #1
    1234 Part #2
    1234 Part #2
    1234 Part #4

    4321 Part #1
    4321 Part #2
    4321 Part #3

    6789 Part #1
    6789 Part #2

    I still want to view the informationon the rest of the row that has
    the duplicate number, I just want to clear only the cell of the
    duplicate.

    Sorry if I wasn't clear

    Bleu

  6. #6
    Dominic
    Guest

    Re: How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Bleu,

    You could do this using a helper column I believe.

    Insert a column next to your order number column. Then beginning with the
    second row type the formula =IF(A2="","",IF(A2=A1,"",A2)). Copy this formula
    down the column.
    Where column A is the column your order numbers are in.

    Then copy the column, the paste:special:values over the top.

    Is that what you are looking for?

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Select cell A1, then select the A column (check that A1 is the active cell, the odd highlight)
    Format, Conditional Format, Formula is
    =COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)<>1
    and set font colour to White (on white)

    duplicates are then hidden

    Hope this helps

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Perhaps you mean this

    Sub test()
    Dim iLastRow As Long
    Dim i As Long

    iLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = iLastRow To 2 Step -1
    If Application.CountIf(Columns(1), Cells(i, "A")) > 1 Then
    Cells(i, "A").Clearcontents

  9. #9
    Bleu_808
    Guest

    Re: How to blank out cells with duplicate values?

    Bob,

    This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

    Thank you everyone for your help too! It's much appreciated!

    Bleu