Static formula when inserting new rows/columns?

  1. #1

    Static formula when inserting new rows/columns?

    I have a sheet that i want to make a macro for. However i dont want the formulas to update to the new cell references when i insert new columns/rows. Ive tried locking the cells but the it still updates.

    The other idea ive had is just add the formula editing to the macro. However this is a bit long winded.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Static formula when inserting new rows/columns?

    Use the INDIRECT function:

    =INDIRECT("A1")

    will always return the current A1 cell's value, no matter what happens with row insertion/deletions.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Many thanks, i was unaware of this function.

  4. #4
    Apologies it doesnt seem to do all i require of it, or i dont have the grasp of it ..

    I want to write something like, =Indirect("(i4/j4-1)*100)") but it doesnt seem to like this syntax?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Static formula when inserting new rows/columns?

    You can only have a cell reference in the INDIRECT( ) function. I think
    what you are trying to do is this:

    =(INDIRECT("I4")/INDIRECT("J4") -1)*100

    Hope this helps.

    Pete