Using Macros to Calculate Matrix Algebra in Excel..... I'm STUMPED

  1. #1
    Still Learning
    Guest

    Using Macros to Calculate Matrix Algebra in Excel..... I'm STUMPED

    Hello!
    Here is a link to a file with my situation:

    http://www.savefile.com/files/8301241

    I need to find a way to set up a spreadsheet where I can input the variables
    G, H, W, J, Q, S and have excel calculate the possible answers that satisfy
    all of the equations in column D.

    I know to do this on paper you use matrix algebra but I have no clue how to
    do this in excel.

    Column B is the results I should be getting for each variable in column A
    (with the input values in column F) but I can't get it to work in excel.
    Column C is a quick attempt I made to use iterate and circular references but
    to no avail. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would REALLY
    appreciate it. Oh and column A is a list of all variables used in the
    equations in column D.

    Is it even possible to input values for the variables in column E and have
    excel use those to find answers that satisfy all of the equations in column
    D??

  2. #2

    Think I've got it

    Hi there,

    This shouldn't be too hard to execute.

    When you work out your F variable you could rewrite the formula as:

    F=A*((G*0.1)+(H*0.2)+(W*0.65)+(J*0.05))

    You can get separate cells to perform each part of the calculation i.e. One cell, say A1, peforms the "G*0.1", another, A2, "H*0.2" etc and when you write the formulas into the cell you can reference back to the cells where you're inputting your variables (in your file (G*0.1) would be "=F2*0.1".

    You know what F is because it equals T and that's derived from values which you know or are inputing.

    So all you need to do is switch the formula round so that:

    A= F / ((G*0.1)+(H*0.2)+(W*0.65)+(J*0.05))

    The formula you write into the cell will be something like:

    = A5 / (sum(A1:A4))
    The rest of the formulas write themselves.

    Anyway, I've put this all onto sheet2 of your file and hopefully I can attach it to this post. It might make a bit more sense on there.

    Hope this helps

    Tris
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #3
    Still Learning
    Guest

    Re: Using Macros to Calculate Matrix Algebra in Excel..... I'm STU

    Thanks for the help Tristan! For some reason the link didn't work, would it
    be possible for you to e-mail it to me at [email protected]?